Australian knife owners: do you carry a pocket knife or multi tool on you for edc?

Also another question, about QL, would you know if it’d be fine to carry one of the bigger sak’s with one hand opening and locking mechanism like the Victorinox Locksmith? Or is the sak label limited to the basic non locking/two hand opening models?
Locksmith:

IMG-4614.jpg
I'm a bit late, but I'm pretty sure you would be fine unless it was a knife with no other tools. You can legally carry a Leatherman for example with the locking/one hand opening blade.

Lol, you wish, they aren’t even legal to own without a permit, and never legal to take out. Ironic how you’d be able to carry one in Texas but not in Italy.

It's not unique situation. Tantos have been illegal in Japan since 2009.

I'm a bit late, but I'm pretty sure you would be fine unless it was a knife with no other tools. You can legally carry a Leatherman for example with the locking/one hand opening blade.
Interesting. Aside from the pen knife/sak in QLD I saw pretty conflicting sources on other types of knives, so I’d like to know if there’s any source on multitools. Also apparently in 2021 an old guy in QLD got taken to court and fined $100, even though not only was a farmer by trade but was also carrying something akin to a pen knife (at least if the knife he was carrying is the same depicted in the images). I haven’t looked further into it but I wouldn’t be surprised if there were more cases of people getting brought to court/fined for having a sak/pen knife in QLD.

Story:

Vs actual law from QLD police website:

Interesting. Aside from the pen knife/sak in QLD I saw pretty conflicting sources on other types of knives, so I’d like to know if there’s any source on multitools. Also apparently in 2021 an old guy in QLD got taken to court and fined $100, even though not only was a farmer by trade but was also carrying something akin to a pen knife (at least if the knife he was carrying is the same depicted in the images). I haven’t looked further into it but I wouldn’t be surprised if there were more cases of people getting brought to court/fined for having a sak/pen knife in QLD.

Story:

Vs actual law from QLD police website:
Looking at it now I didn't see any mention of multitools, so I guess it would be a risk to carry one unless you had a ready excuse. The bigger SAK you pictured would probably be a similar risk, although you could argue that it is a SAK. It would depend on the cop at the time. That story of the old guy is just QLD policing at it's worst(and the courts for that matter). And yes I wouldn't be surprised if there were more cases like this.

Having said all that, there is very little chance of you being searched by police unless you are being a dick or acting suspicious etc. There are areas like late night precincts or airports where you may come across higher security awareness and run the risk of being scanned or searched. Or getting pulled over leaving a bar. I've lived in QLD for almost 50 years and have never been randomly searched.

If you want to be safe though, just carry a SAK.

Back