1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Auto conversion of Tomcat I ? Thoughts, ideas, ridicule?

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by Twodogknight, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Twodogknight

Twodogknight

Apr 18, 2008
    I have about four T1's and one is one of the very, very big, very heavy types which i sent to SOG to get something fixed (can't recall what) but it resulted in the knife needing re-handled and was lucky enough to have the repair contractor offer custom scales instead of the Kraton and i accepted.

Now, although i own two Tomcat II's, four Tomcat I's and two Tomcat III's i ALWAYS come back to that monster 'Cat and wanting it to be able to be opened one-handed (since i have a bad arm) but no one, and i mean NO one, wanted to even try.I understand b/c the 'Cat is a beast of a knife and it would be a tuff job planning and executing such a job.

It'd be a leaf-spring type,i think, but drilling and installing the button seem like a particularly sensitive operation. A coil spring probably could even lift the blade. More likely it'd take a Mikov-like double-leaf-spring setup.

Beyond that i'm not really well-educated on auto conversions to continue.

I think a short re-issue of the Big 'Cat in auto would be a popular sell for SOG.

A little help...?

2. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    I'd contact the Vallottons, Butch could probably even make it D/A.

~Chip

3. Twodogknight

Twodogknight

Apr 18, 2008
    Thank you for the tip;i called and he (Butch iirc) said he would take a look at it and felt confident he could work something out unless he didn't think they could do it properly.

Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  4. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    He did an awesome job on my Sebenza, and was a pleasure to deal with. Be sure to post pics when you get it back :)

~Chip

5. Twodogknight

Twodogknight

Apr 18, 2008
    You had your Sebby done!? That's awesome- though i doubt it would've occurred to me (i'm not real sharp..lol).

I'm gonna send him the one i want converted and he'll tell me if he can do it; these Tomcats are built like Ft. Know....he wasn't familiar with their innards so he couldn't say for sure.

Thanks again for the suggestion and I will definitely post some pics. I'll try to remember to do before and after.

Got any pix of your converted Seb? I'd love to see it.

6. WValtakis

May 29, 2004
    There's a pic of it in my anodizing thread link in my signature :)

~Chip