Auto conversion of Tomcat I ? Thoughts, ideas, ridicule?

I have about four T1's and one is one of the very, very big, very heavy types which i sent to SOG to get something fixed (can't recall what) but it resulted in the knife needing re-handled and was lucky enough to have the repair contractor offer custom scales instead of the Kraton and i accepted.

Now, although i own two Tomcat II's, four Tomcat I's and two Tomcat III's i ALWAYS come back to that monster 'Cat and wanting it to be able to be opened one-handed (since i have a bad arm) but no one, and i mean NO one, wanted to even try.I understand b/c the 'Cat is a beast of a knife and it would be a tuff job planning and executing such a job.

It'd be a leaf-spring type,i think, but drilling and installing the button seem like a particularly sensitive operation. A coil spring probably could even lift the blade. More likely it'd take a Mikov-like double-leaf-spring setup.

Beyond that i'm not really well-educated on auto conversions to continue.

I think a short re-issue of the Big 'Cat in auto would be a popular sell for SOG.

A little help...?

I'd contact the Vallottons, Butch could probably even make it D/A.

~Chip

I'd contact the Vallottons, Butch could probably even make it D/A.

~Chip

Thank you for the tip;i called and he (Butch iirc) said he would take a look at it and felt confident he could work something out unless he didn't think they could do it properly.

Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Last edited:
He did an awesome job on my Sebenza, and was a pleasure to deal with. Be sure to post pics when you get it back :)

~Chip

He did an awesome job on my Sebenza, and was a pleasure to deal with. Be sure to post pics when you get it back :)

~Chip

You had your Sebby done!? That's awesome- though i doubt it would've occurred to me (i'm not real sharp..lol).

I'm gonna send him the one i want converted and he'll tell me if he can do it; these Tomcats are built like Ft. Know....he wasn't familiar with their innards so he couldn't say for sure.

Thanks again for the suggestion and I will definitely post some pics. I'll try to remember to do before and after.

Got any pix of your converted Seb? I'd love to see it.

There's a pic of it in my anodizing thread link in my signature :)

~Chip

Back