Average lock up on the Umnumzaan?

DrRollinstein

Basic Member
Whats everyones Umnum lock up at? Mine seems to be around 80%, which seems high but i have nothing to compare it to.

My friends 2015 is a solid %75 any way. It really hasn't moved in a full year of use.

Does it really have 80% lock up or does it just look like it does ?
Have you inspected the blade tang to see what the actual lock up percentage is ?
With the ceramic ball’s position on the lock bar, the lock bar is over more than a 21 and will look later than it really is.

OK. It looks like 80%. Nice to know about the difference btwn 21 and Umnum. Thanks. Like your chess comment. I play. But never with pigeons...;-)

50-60% x 2. They’re solid. Scale codes A-16 and C-16

ETA: from what I have seen and read, 80% (viewed as I have pictured) is not unusual.

ETA 2: There are old Umnumzaan threads talking about how the O-rings can affect lockup (to a limited degree). I can’t speak for everyone, but my Zaans lock up a bit later and land a bit harder with factory O-rings than they do with Buna-N from my hardware store. I run the Buna-N because I like the softer landing. I haven’t tied Viton yet, but would like to.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the blade tang and the scoring mark is roughly in middle of my early 2014 model. But looking at the lock bar, it is like 80% into the tang.

Umnumzaan scratch across tang is ~50%, lockup looks ~55%, my small Inkosi scratch across tang is ~60%-65% but lockup looks closer to 85%-90%.

Back