Avionics or the like?

Any of you have a background in avionics or the like? What kind of jobs do you do?

Just curious because I'm booking an Integrated Avionics Warfare Systems job with the Air Force and was curious as to civilian jobs you might have related to this field.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Integrated Com/Nav/ECM specialty has evolved again.

I started as Airborne Communications (328X0) and ended up as Integrated Avionics Superintendent. The more desirable avionics jobs for civilian hire would be back shop avionics where you can build a more detailed electronics knowledge base with precision measurement equipment calibration technician arguably being one of the best areas. I specialized more in the electronic warfare area of the integrated avionics field and was fortunate enough to have worked half of my career in operational test organizations where we often interfaced with the contractors who built the equipment. You pick up a lot of knowledge unavailable to the regular forces and can establish good civilian contacts for post service employment. Being stationed at Edwards AFB I also had the chance to work closely with engineers and designers in the Integrated Facility for Avionics System Test (IFAST) and the Benefield Anechoic Chamber (BAF). Retirement went a little off specialty. I was snapped up quickly by National Semiconductor for my technical knowledge and skills and learned shortly that they had technical management plans for my career. When the industry tanked, I found myself interviewing for extensive electronic jobs like the High Altitude Research Project but settled on a job in the desert north of Las Vegas after one of the strangest interviews of my life. My service contacts never forgot me and I received offers to work as an Air Force civilian (WG/GS grades) on test F-16s. After 3-years of that, my contacts came through again and I now work at NASA as Dryden Flight Research Center's Electrostatic Discharge Control Program Manager. Well maybe not work so much as enjoy. It's a dream job and I enjoy every day of it.

The Air Force gave me background training, a job with increasing opportunities, and an educational path to follow. It will be what you yourself make of it. Once you complete your technical schooling and earn your 5-skill level, take advantage of every opportunity the AF has to offer. From education to travel you can't beat it and it will better prepare you for whatever you want to do in civilian life. Best of luck and thanks for choosing to be a part of the defense of our great country. :thumbup:

j

Back