AXE BELL DISPLAY

I am curious to know if anyone owns an axe bell? I am fascinated with these after seeing one a couple months ago. I think this may be added to my list of winter projects. I think they would be quite difficult to find out in the wild. But I may be wrong. I found a few pics on the interweb and attached.

Last edited:
Don't have one. Haven't seen one. But I think it's the holy grail of axe displays. I'd love to have one. Just too busy to make.

If you make one please post the build here to inspire me and others.
After retracing my steps unsuccessfully this weekend. I'm 90% sure the one I saw was in Platte City. If I get some free time this week I will swing by there and take a picture. I'm sure it was display only. But I have been hunting for one ever since. I can barely find a handful on the web. So holy grail is an accurate description. I hope I can find the time this winter. Should be fun!

Man I would love one of those and have been keeping my eye out for one.

But I’m my opinion, the true holy grail of axe racks would be one of Warren’s rolling, revolving display stands.

Where are these?!? One must still exist somewhere...
(or even one of the other rolling stands.)
9-B22-DA0-A-C919-4-DBA-ADE1-E82-DC97-DEE47.jpg

Man I would love one of those and have been keeping my eye out for one.

But I’m my opinion, the true holy grail of axe racks would be one of Warren’s rolling, revolving display stands.

Where are these?!? One must still exist somewhere...
(or even one of the other rolling stands.)
9-B22-DA0-A-C919-4-DBA-ADE1-E82-DC97-DEE47.jpg
LOL, I couldn't agree more. I keep hoping to walk around the corner one of these days and find one of these guys holding up some umbrellas or golf clubs. At which point I will quietly empty it out and take it home with me and never look back.

Different when I get around to it, and I imagine I will at some point, I won't go with the curvilinear shapes. I'd cut all those partitions with straight edges, it will go a lot quicker!

Steve Tall shared some info and if you click the Google book link there are several more creative options:
Here's a stand that holds 36 axes (with handles) and 36 more axe heads, and its size is only 2 feet in diameter. It rolls on castors. The bowl on top is for axe stones and wedges.

books

This and other designs can be found in
The American Hardware Store: A Manual of Approved Methods of Arranging and Displaying Hardware, Richard Williams, 1896
http://books.google.com/books?id=9jgUAQAAMAAJ&dq="axe rack"&pg=PA276#v=onepage&q="axe rack"&f=false

Here's a thread on axe stands/shelves:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1057452-Axe-Stand-or-Shelf

G garry3 - I think it was this one from the same thread? Nice wife.
Just wanted to share this vintage axe stand, never saw one quite like it. Note the shaved corner where some customer tested an axe for sharpness. It holds 43 axes. Early x-mas gift from my wife.

Steve Tall shared some info and if you click the Google book link there are several more creative options:

G garry3 - I think it was this one from the same thread? Nice wife.
My mind just blew a little. Thank you guys! Making it 360 degrees is a game changer. I have only seen the bell with a flat back on it. I will let my wife know to keep an eye out for one of these LOL.

Axe bells were very common in hardware stores back in the day, you see them often enough at antique stores or auctions, they usually bring about $300 min, I think I've seen a dozen or so the last few years. I know a guy who makes new ones as well, but charges about $350 plus it's like $80 to ship.

I have acquired a CNC machine and designed an axe bell in 3D Autocad to be cut out and assembled with no hardware, just glue, so it can be shipped flat and save on shipping costs. I however have not cut/assembled one yet, still in the design phase, I want to make it out of Plywood or MDF, as a cheaper option to keep the price low. Would be easy enough to swap out for nicer wood for "premium models"

I'll keep everyone posted as the project progresses.

So I found the store this weekend that had started my search for an axe bell. Ironically the not for sale axe bell I had seen was sold. But another one had taken its place. The gentleman was there, and he said he had seen 2 in his life. And it was the 2 he owned. This one was marked not for sale at this time. He was gracious enough o allow me to take a few pics. This particular stand was the full 360 degrees with only a single layer. It did however have a unique attachment on top for double bits. This one is put together with screws, so it is obviously newer. But it gave me yet another perspective for when I get around to this particular project.

I wish i was a carpenter by trade and not necessity...i want and will make an attempt, but its not going to be pretty when i do...functional and similar in style and aesthetics will be the goal...when the time arrives or is stolen for such a project.

Back