Recommendation? Axe handle mod?

I have a nice Kelly Perfect DB with a 36" handle and it is missing a large piece of the wood on one side starting at about 4" from the end. I would rather it be 32" overall anyway but not sure how I want to create an improvised stop on it to replace the original swell after cutting it off. Maybe some tennis wrap to hold onto or something like that. Any other creative recommendations? Thanks!

The knob or swell end of a haft is subject to the least stress, and laminating some wood around the sides of the main haft (in order to recreate a swell) isn't going to mess up the strength. However creating matching surfaces for the laminations is not going to be so easy. The quick and dirty option is to trim the handle to what you think is ideal (perhaps you can experiment via shortening it in increments of an inch at a time) and wrap it with friction tape, hockey tape or tennis racket material. This'll become your test bed for when you ultimately decide on what to install for a new handle.

If the handle is overly thick you could always thin the rest of the half and form a new swell in the middle. I kind of wish I'd done this with my DB, but I've started to become accustomed to the 36" handle. Another option I've seen done was a raw hide collar with a final layer longer to overlap the initial ones in order to smooth out the transition. You can use dog chews for this.

I have a nice Kelly Perfect DB with a 36" handle and it is missing a large piece of the wood . . .
Another option is to put a tenon on the handle and attach a piece with a corresponding mortise in it. I would personally pin the joint (draw bored even better), but YMMV. Glue together, shape and fair the attached "knob"to the handle.

Bob

Thanks guys! This is a really nice thin handle with no room for removal of material and I really don't want to replace it as long as it is sound. I will try wrapping it with grip tape just above the knob leaving it at the 36" length for now. Ultimately, the mortise & tenon idea looks to be an excellent long term fix. Thanks!

Back