Axe head ID and age?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by testdepth, Jan 14, 2017.

1. testdepth

testdepth

Dec 9, 2012
    Anyone know what type of axe this is and how old it is?

I soaked it in straight vinegar for 2 days and then knocked the rust off with a wire wheel. I intend to put a handle back on it and put it back in use or hang it on the wall.

Anyone know what type of axe and or time frame this is from? I soaked it in straight vinegar for two days and then wire wheeled all of the rust off except in the handle hole where I can't get to. Weighs about 3 to 5lbs.
    Blade edge to back of axe edge = 11.5 inches
    Blade width is 6.5 inches
    Back is 2.5 inches long and 1 1/8 inches wide
    Two points where axe handle goes are 3.5 inches point to point

http://s251.photobucket.com/user/testdepth/library/Antique axe?sort=3&page=1

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Testdepth, can you get a picture of your axe - maybe even a couple?

Sounds big though?

3. DeadFall27

DeadFall27

May 18, 2011
    Would you happen to have any photographs available or noticed a stamping of some sort on the axe?

4. testdepth

testdepth

Dec 9, 2012
  5. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
  6. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Looks a bit like a masting axe or related deal. A little edge work and a handle and that would probably be a good tool.

I like stuff that needs a little help to be good so others might see something different.

7. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    It's a masting axe. Likely 100 years old. It's badly pitted but not badly worn - most of the steel is still there. This is a hewing axe that could also be used for felling. One tool to make a new mast for a ship in a pinch. They found a lot of use outside of mast making. It would typically have a 20" -28" up-turned haft (opening the hang for hewing).

[​IMG]

8. testdepth

testdepth

Dec 9, 2012
    Thanks very much for doing this

9. testdepth

testdepth

Dec 9, 2012
    Thanks to all! Masting/Hewing axe it is. Any opinions as to what finish to put on it to keep it from further rusting. I will put a handle on it and place it back in service.

10. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Many folks are happy just with WD-40 as a rust preventative. Others use linseed oil. I use a blend of beeswax, BLO and turps. A similar product can be purchased off the shelf - Renaiassance Wax. For long term storage look to Boeshield.

11. testdepth

testdepth

Dec 9, 2012
    BLO = boiled linseed oil
    Turps = ?

What is turps? turpentine

Whats amounts do you mix?

12. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Yes, turpentine. Equal parts. Combine in sauce pan under low heat and transfer it to a microwavable container. Warm it and the tool before application. Good on hafts, too. I used it to seal any openings at the top or bottom of the eye.

13. testdepth

testdepth

Dec 9, 2012
    Would you recommend taking anymore of the metal down to get the pits out?

14. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    It depends what you want to do. As far as function, if the front 3/4" is polished the axe will perfom fine. This is a double beveled axe so you don't have a flat on the back that needs lapping.

You could give it a full polish if you wanted it for a wall hanger. A lot of work but some people like that.

15. testdepth

testdepth

Dec 9, 2012
    After more wire wheeling and sanding some letters came through on the poll end of the axe head. On one side are capital letters D M. On the opposite side all I can make out are letters of a name stamped in to the steel ( SMUGER ) or (SHUGER). I have finished getting the rust off and now installing the handle.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017