1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Axe ID help please

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by snowballsnowflake, Mar 18, 2017.

1. snowballsnowflake

snowballsnowflake

Mar 18, 2017
    Greetings,
    I have an axe that came from my grandparents house. I know it was purchased from a local hardware store in the 1970's. I cleaned it up and sharpened it. Still has some original red paint on the head and A 31 stamped on metal. Head dimensions are 6-3/8" long, Blade is 3-7/8" wide and rear is 2-1/2" wide. Handle is 24-1/2" long with overall length 27". Handle has some safety warnings still visible. It in next to unused condition. Any help with manufacturer or other info is appreciated

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. DeadFall27

DeadFall27 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2011
    Off the top of my head, I am unsure of what you have. However, you can use Imgur, Photobucket, or any similar free photo sharing site to post pics on here. Hopefully we can help you out here.

3. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    Sounds like a paper label True Temper Kelly Works wokdslasher. The marking on it has been called military markings but I highly doubt that story. Likely it is some form of factory code.

4. snowballsnowflake

snowballsnowflake

Mar 18, 2017
    pictures posted above. thanks

5. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Any ridges in the eye?

6. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    I agree.

7. snowballsnowflake

snowballsnowflake

Mar 18, 2017
    Yes. 4 total two on each side. The ridges on one side are farther apart than the other two.

8. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Almost certainly a Woodslasher.

9. Operator1975

Operator1975

Sep 24, 2010
    It is a woodslasher. The A31 mark is an internal audit number on the dies used to make the axe that they could track wear and tear over time, and knew when to replace.

10. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Finally a good explanation for those letter/number stamps.

Any idea why only certain dies got this treatment?

11. Operator1975

Operator1975

Sep 24, 2010
    Post 1960 when better technology took over and Woodslasher was the primary line, if one of the few, that was still being made in axes.

12. snowballsnowflake

snowballsnowflake

Mar 18, 2017
    thanks!