1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 4 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Benchmade Limited Edition 319DLC-1801 Proper, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 26!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Matt "Charlie Mike" Freeman passed away unexpectedly last weekend. We have various threads posted in both the General & Community forums, please share your memories:

RIP Charlie Mike

A Go Fund Me has been started to help cover his funeral expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/cmftw-for-matt-f

Photos Axe Identification?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by JonnyT, Jun 13, 2018.

1. JonnyT

JonnyT

Jun 13, 2018
    I've recently took possession of my grandfathers old axe and I'm planning on doing a faithful restoration at some point soon.

I've not seen a small axe like this before with the blade on one side and a pointed pickaxe end on the other. I was hoping you all might be able to tell me what type of axe this is? What would it typically be used for?

I appreciate there's not much sense of scale in the pictures but it is a smaller axe, definitely more hatchet sized, designed for single-handed use.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. flexo

flexo

Mar 14, 2013
    looks like a german fireman hatchet

3. JonnyT

JonnyT

Jun 13, 2018
    Having done an image search for "fireman's hatchet" I'm inclined to agree with you, but I have no idea why my grandfather would own one. He was a miner all his life and a warden during the second world war.

4. JonnyT

JonnyT

Jun 13, 2018
  5. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
  6. JonnyT

JonnyT

Jun 13, 2018
    You guys got me thinking about this whole fireman’s axe thing, so when I got home after work today I grabbed the hatchet and took it out back with some warm water and a scouring pad to give it a good scrub.

In doing so I found the following:
    [​IMG]
    “London AFS 6332”

Apparently this is from the “London Auxiliary Fire Service”

My grand parents (and the rest of my family) are from the North East of England so I have no idea how this axe has made its way into my grandfathers possession all the way up North in the late 1930’s.

Miller '72 and Square_peg like this.
  7. flexo

flexo

Mar 14, 2013
    Square_peg likes this.
  8. JonnyT

JonnyT

Jun 13, 2018
    Yep, I’m loving the belt too. I might have to make that part of my restoration plans.

Square_peg likes this.
  9. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    I've seen Elwell fire hatchets in that style.