Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

All threads are discussion threads. Pictures just start the discussion. The Colonial looks mighty suspicious to me. The others somewhat.

either way they were great 5 dollar garage sale finds...so don't care--no plans on selling them-they look damn good hanging on my wall....so this is the picture thread???? how bout you guys posting some pictures of yer axes ???

Last edited:
You know what! You're absolutely right so I'll clam up. Pretty pictures count more than intentionally, or accidentally, being fooled.

All threads are discussion threads. Pictures just start the discussion. The Colonial looks mighty suspicious to me. The others somewhat.

I would like to see you two try and fake an ax head in the way you said DP77 did. Then post the pictures of what you came up with and we'll compare...If you don't think this is possible then I think you owe someone an apology. In the meantime let's see your ax heads that you have now so that we can scrutinize every mm of them. You know, just to be fair...

Another thing, why is the word "ax" misspelled in this thread? The American way is "ax". The British way is "axe"...

I just picked up this great old British made oil based heater for my garage from my mother in law

20180119_112506.jpg

Now I can work on finishing this Craftsman ax and future ax work

20180119_113144.jpg

20180118_233932.jpg

I will be able to stay warm while I work on my Crosscuts saws and their handles and hardware

20180118_233824.jpg

Thank you mum!

I didn't realize AX and AXE caused a divide among lovers of the ax/axe.
In my opinion it's like how you pronounce tomato or potato.
All seems silly since we all know what we are talking about :cool::thumbsup:;)

-Miller

I would like to see you two try and fake an ax head in the way you said DP77 did. Then post the pictures of what you came up with and we'll compare...If you don't think this is possible then I think you owe someone an apology

Back up the bus, pal.

For all we know DP77 purchased these axes in this condition. I haven't accused him of faking anything.

Etching steel isn't something difficult to do. They taught us how to do it in 8th grade shop class in 1975. If a fella had a steady hand, or better yet printed out a stencil, then he could duplicate any axe etching pretty easily. I'm not gonna do it for you because it's not worth my effort.

And I'm not going to apologize for making people aware that etches can be faked. It's been pointed out how unusual it is that the rust spot on the Colonial stopped exactly short of the 'C'. It's been noted that all 3 etchings look surprisingly fresh. If these are recently made etchings and if the artist happens to be reading this thread then he/she now knows to rust his future work to make it harder to spot.

And why the hostility? Are you faking etches?

Back up the bus, pal.

For all we know DP77 purchased these axes in this condition. I haven't accused him of faking anything.

Etching steel isn't something difficult to do. They taught us how to do it in 8th grade shop class in 1975. If a fella had a steady hand, or better yet printed out a stencil, then he could duplicate any axe etching pretty easily. I'm not gonna do it for you because it's not worth my effort.

And I'm not going to apologize for making people aware that etches can be faked. It's been pointed out how unusual it is that the rust spot on the Colonial stopped exactly short of the 'C'. It's been noted that all 3 etchings look surprisingly fresh. If these are recently made etchings and if the artist happens to be reading this thread then he/she now knows to rust his future work to make it harder to spot.

And why the hostility? Are you faking etches?

First off he was accused of faking the ax heads. Second, the ax head isn't etched it is clearly forged that way. Third, I wasn't being hostile at all, not like you. I was standing up for a friend of mine. I also learned how to etch metal in shop class in 1973...You answered my question about duplicating the process, "it's not worth your effort". This was the second or 3rd time that it has been insinuated that he faked them or are faked by someone else. If the heads were etched I would consider the "faked" thought but these were forged. By the way, etching would be barely below the surface.

Like you, he found a common interest in axes with this thread and posted ax heads that he was proud of and right away he was accused of faking the markings. With all the ax heads that he has wouldn't you think he would recognize a fake?

Don

P.S. NO I AM NOT FAKING ETCHES!!!

this was supposed to be fun to post pics so people could see and enjoy--screw that--aint gonna post no more of the hundreds of axes I have---I will enjoy them myself and share with people that enjoy them...god what a ruff life so unhappy....

ya did get to me cuz ya made it sound like I'm doing it--which I am not and I am not trying to sell them here.....maybe think a bit more about how you word your statements out as not to make it sound like you are accusing someone of something--ya know what I mean-----and no by no means am I sensitive cuz I don't really give a damn what anyone thinks or says.....but use that on top of yer shoulders for a little more than a hat rest.....no offense ok......1st time I post here and you are trying to beat me up---wtf----you think I want to come back and share any of my knowledge---heck no......tell me why I should and maybe you don't give a damn....

I never even did claim they are originals--did I-- all I said is they sure are cool aren't they--but I was never blaming anyone for claiming they are fake---what the hell---if I am going to just get attacked---man I got better things to do with my time than argue stupid crap here----man I am new and I think I will just go away and spend my time more productive.....don't need any of this crap....

that's great make the forum aware--but not by beating someone up....er is dat yer style ????lets go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Etching can do things like this.

d7ab567887aac2f4fb413b8f96a71533--iron-steel-knifes.jpg

or this,

http://axeing.org/how-to-make-a-viking-axe-from-an-old-hatchet/

or this.

https://armstreet.com/store/armoury/large-axe-king-of-the-east

Your axes might well originals. But it's possible they're not. There's good money in selling nice 'embossed' axes. We've seen Black Ravens fetch as much as $2000. And people have faked collectables for centuries. I don't mean to upset you. I just want the forum to be aware of what's possible.

That's very nicely done. Yet I can tell it's etched and not forged. I understand you're trying to make a point about people faking things. I think you used poor judgment in your initial statement.
I see DP77 is off of this thread, I can't blame him. It's this threads loss, he has been dealing with this type of stuff his entire life and has a lot of insight and knowledge. Too Bad For You!!

l3NIqkA.jpg

I still haven't finished, this is a picture from earlier today. The light is bad in my garage for pictures but I just finished with the file on the bit and gave it an other coat of BLO.
I just love the swell of this handle and wanted to share it.
And a side note, the heater works pretty well in here.

Miller, is that the boys or the full size?

Fantastic question. I never thought to look into that.
It's 3lbs on what was a 28"handle.
To tighten the hang, the head was loose, I dropped it down the shoulder a bit, drove the factory wood wedge and bottomed it out, the handle is now 27".

If the weight and handle size do not reveal if its the boys axe, I will definetly be looking into it...tomorrow:D
Thanks for posing the question, I never gave it a thought regarding this Craftsman...with that said I had been thinking this would make a great camping axe in the pop up with the family.:thumbsup:

ya did get to me cuz ya made it sound like I'm doing it--which I am not and I am not trying to sell them here.....maybe think a bit more about how you word your statements out as not to make it sound like you are accusing someone of something--ya know what I mean-----and no by no means am I sensitive cuz I don't really give a damn what anyone thinks or says.....but use that on top of yer shoulders for a little more than a hat rest.....no offense ok......1st time I post here and you are trying to beat me up---wtf----you think I want to come back and share any of my knowledge---heck no......tell me why I should and maybe you don't give a damn....

I never even did claim they are originals--did I-- all I said is they sure are cool aren't they--but I was never blaming anyone for claiming they are fake---what the hell---if I am going to just get attacked---man I got better things to do with my time than argue stupid crap here----man I am new and I think I will just go away and spend my time more productive.....don't need any of this crap....
Thank you for obtusely (round about) addressing the original question. Go back to my initial post that suggested 'something wasn't cricket' with the ax(e) embosses and tell me how it is I slandered you. All I did was point out what appeared to be obvious (to me), and asked if you had obtained those seemingly-desirable items from the same source. My concern was that you got royally 'ripped off'. Most collector-type folks become thoroughly embarrassed when they discover they've been 'had', instead you immediately became indignant. Reactions such as this are hugely informative.
This is the last of any comments I make on this. When you post pretty pictures on a specialty forum such as this you ought to expect critical feedback, and lo and behold you did!

Last edited:
Back