Axe vs. Saw - Which is better?

I hope not to start a firestorm here.

What do you prefer? If you can only have one, which is it? Why?

I have read alot of arguements on both sides

If I keep the price below $40, and I don't mind carrying either, which is best?

Can you give me any advise? Gimme some links please!

Thanks!

My vote would go to the saw. In a survival situation you'll probably be cold, tired, possibly dehydrated. Not the time to be swinging an axe. I have a pocket chainsaw-works a lot better than I thought it would.

I use a Fiskars folding saw. It is identical to the Bahco. Gets in to places that an axe cannot due to the need for room to swing. But an axe can split where the saw cannot. Works for me but might not for others.

My vote would go to the saw. In a survival situation you'll probably be cold, tired, possibly dehydrated. Not the time to be swinging an axe. I have a pocket chainsaw-works a lot better than I thought it would.

I have one too, works pretty good. here's a cheap way out of that: get a replacement chain saw blade for the Gerber gator saw III - they're usually like $7 and fashion strap or cord handles. It's a little smaller and lighter, plus Gerber's warranty

http://www.rockynational.com/1895_22-41546_Gerber_Gator_Saw_III_Replacement_Chain_Saw_Blade.html

I use a Fiskars folding saw. It is identical to the Bahco. Gets in to places that an axe cannot due to the need for room to swing. But an axe can split where the saw cannot. Works for me but might not for others.

true, but my leatherman has a saw of this type, but smaller. Do you think the extra blade length makes it worth carrying a separate tool? This is the reason I sometimes carry an axe, but I only get out camping maybe 2-3 times per year (I hope to GREATLY improve that this year) so I just haven't been in a bind yet

They are different tools for different tasks. If I could have only one on camping trip it would be an axe.

They are different tools for different tasks. If I could have only one on camping trip it would be an axe.

Thanks for the post!

true, they are different tools.

Here's what I carry, and I figure I cover it both ways. But I'm kind of just smothering the problem with overlapping solutions with no real hardcore experience as to why:

http://www.rockynational.com/1895_22-41546_Gerber_Gator_Saw_III_Replacement_Chain_Saw_Blade.html

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...+gator&parentPage=search&searchId=20300389022

and I rigged a small pouch on the axe sheath holster to hold the chain saw blade with rigged up cord handles

They both have their applications. I carry both.

I've seen the 14" Fiskars hatchet sold locally for $19.99. Usually you can find a halfway decent folding saw at a big box hardware store for under $20. Those two items could give you a good start on your tools.

There are a lot of folding and take-down saws out there that will run you between $10 and $30. You can always upgrade down the road.

A saw + medium size knife gets you far......saw + axe + knife will get you further :).

I don't think you can compare axe and saw. Very different from a weight perspective alone.

My personal choice would be the saw + sheath knife.

For me (and this is just my opinion of course) there is no question. An axe. I find the axe to be a much more versatile tool in the woods than a saw. I have, and use the saw on my Vic "farmer", a Sven Saw, and a small Opinel saw, but would feel lost without my axe.

Splitting wet wood to get to the dry center, limbing branches out of reach for shelter, carving bowls, noggins, and such is just a few things I rely on my axe for.

Although I do carry both, I have to agree with Tarmix101. I do use the hatchet more than the saw; primarily for splitting.

I agree with that (not having a pocket chainsaw... *Googles because it sounds cool*)!

I dont think An axe would be too much of a problem for me in a survival situation. I would things done pretty qucik with an axe. Although I do have both, It would be the axe for me.

I agree with that (not having a pocket chainsaw... *Googles because it sounds cool*)!

pocket chainsaw is the shiz. ditch the handles it comes with and make ones from paracord & coat hanger

also check out saber cut saw - same idea, i think its discontinued

also, check out gerber gator saw III replacement chain saw blade, much cheaper, a little smaller, make your own handles

pocket chainsaw is the shiz. ditch the handles it comes with and make ones from paracord & coat hanger

also check out saber cut saw - same idea, i think its discontinued

also, check out gerber gator saw III replacement chain saw blade, much cheaper, a little smaller, make your own handles

I just Googled it and got the official site or whatever, with the video of someone cutting down a small tree, and I have one word for it: Jawesome.

If I ever went camping I would buy one of those to take!

I just Googled it and got the official site or whatever, with the video of someone cutting down a small tree, and I have one word for it: Jawesome.

If I ever went camping I would buy one of those to take!

yeah, I have one. the pic on their site is a standing dead log, it doesnt work quite that well, but it does go through a 6 inch limb in about a minute even with my weak ass!

Back