Axes with hardened poll

Lets start a thread about hardened polls so that we may more easily spot them.

What manufacturers do we know made them.

What should someone look fore and some easy ways to help determine if they are or not hardened.

Here is an ad showing Kelly Perfect as having hardened poll.
SAM_0170.jpg
[/IMG]

And here is ads from 1917 showing Keen Kutters as having hardened poll.
Keen%20Kutter%201917-3_zpsbclpwnih.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Keen%20Kutter%201917-2_zps8iqhoq14.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Keen%20Kutter%201917-1_zpsocuchn1t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Keen%20Kutter%201917-5_zps9yp8smcn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Keen%20Kutter%201917-4_zpsxfw0qdtp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
[video][/video]

Here is a Keen Kutter that is not hardened. It is mushroomed and has indents in the poll from striking.
Keen%20Kutter%20not%20hard_zpsvgiqdov3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a Kelly Perfect that may be hardened. It did not take indents, has small chips but did mushroom some on the other side of the poll.
Kelly%20Perfect_zps7abkgprl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I would expect that most axes such as Michigan's with rounded polls probably aren't frozen.

Hardened polls, Rafting axes, Miners, Construction Axes are all good stuff.
Miners axe, rafting axe, construction axe
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1305893-Miners-axe-rafting-axe-construction-axe

Hardened Polls
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1196359-Hardened-Polls

Finally hung my rafting axe
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1028309-Finally-hung-my-rafting-axe

Plumb National – Hardened or not
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ot-National-quot-pattern-Hardened-poll-or-not

Hung my Plumb rafting construction axe
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1446815-hung-my-plumb-rafting-construction-axe

Miners axe mention.
1906 Red Ridge Marshall Bros Niagara Diamond Miner's Axe Axes (auction photo)
2cxAz6w.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a Plumb ad stating a spring tempered head for driving wedges.
Plumb%20ad_zpsvzy1weyn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A couple ads from 1912
1921%20ad1_zpsrwyvzybi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1912%20ad2_zpsmbbelaoq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1920 Stiletto Hunts and Cub.
1920%20ad_zpshkodlnur.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Great thread! I love all those old ads.

The two methods I know discovering a hardened poll are the file method or a vinegar soak. The file is the surest. You may find an axe that is hardened throughout, like the Plumb in the ad above. Moore common is the mild steel body with hardened bit and maybe hardened poll. If you file across the bottom of the eye you'll get a feel for the hardness of the eye steel. Continue filing to the poll. If it's hard you'll know right away.

Chips on a poll are an indicator of hardening. The Kelly Perfect above surely has a hard poll.

Having a hard poll doesn't mean the poll can't mushroom. Under heavy work even a sledge will eventually mushroom. It may also chip. Very hard hammer faces will more likely chip than mushroom.

I would like to be able to tell if an axe has a hardened poll visually. I may be willing to spend a little more on a particular head if I can tell it has a hard poll. I don't think many people will like you taking a file to there axes for sale.

Visually I would look for chips (indicating hardness) or indents (indicating a soft poll). Until looking at these old ads on the web, I did not know so many had hardened polls.

You don't have to remove much material with the file to verify a hardened poll. And it's really the only way to be sure. If you've filed a lot of axes you'll know with just a few strokes.

Wonderful compilation of old ads! Perhaps hard polled axes were more common at one time than we thought. It makes sense for these to have been available during the era of axes being 'all around' tools. Nowadays a general visual indicator of hard polled axes are a high poll, bevelled edges and thicker eyes. The blades are often more symmetrical (front to back) than ordinary heads too.
The Plumb Nationals are an anomaly; they have bevelled poll edges and were advertised to be useful for pounding wedges but that may have been more a case of a high and generous poll than physical hardening to rudimentary hammer standards. Certainly the one I have has a soft poll.

What I gather is that there are axes with obviously hardened polls like the 4 and 5lb Plumbs and the TT for example have bevels and a pretty distinct pattern shape like what 300six described - I think of those as "Rafting Patterns" - sometimes the polls are smooth, sometimes with checks in them.

There are also the Mann, Collins, Walters, MasterCraft, etc with very generous polls that I think look like the Rafting Pattern but show a touch of mushrooming but hold up really quite well to use as a sledge. Makes me think they are Rafting Axes but the hardening is not quite to the point of chipping but enough to remain relatively intact in use.

There are old school axes with hardened steel added to the poll that provided a striking surface that were forged welded on there - still hardened polls.

The National patterns don't seem to be hardened but given their billing as "Stake driving capable" made me want to say they are hardened but I am not sure. They aren't hardened enough to show a line in a vinegar bath and they do mushroom to a certain degree but they have those bevels. I wonder if those were billed as for use on some hammering simply due to the beveled design would keep sharp edges at bay longer as they would have to be pounded more than an "average" axe to show mushrooming past the bevels themselves. Sometimes the bevels on axes that show hardening are not flat but more rounded. Easier to do than flat? Don't know. Less material on the part most likely to chip off during metal on metal contact? Maybe?

Then we have the examples of "normal" axes that demonstrate hardened polls via vinegar bath temper lines - Some of the Perfect line for example. For the most part not sold as "Hardened Poll" axes but they turn up and demonstrate that they are harder than the surrounding material - which probably is not a mistake as it takes an extra step as far as I can tell.

Now there are "Miner" and "Construction" axes... Those seem to be have been specifically sold as being hardened but maybe also as a style or configuration - straight handles (many of them short). Some with hardened polls, some without... Some offered on curved handles as well...

That ad I posted refers to that build as a "Miners axe" but is states they came with any of the available heads (or a variety of them) on a shorter handle - kind of like Council's straight handled axes with 3.5 - 5lb heads but no mention of hardening (Rail Splitter line is what comes to mind)

There are some variables such as an axe being marked on the opposite side of the head, a weight stamp impressed on the poll face itself, an obvious overbuilding of the poll, bevels at the poll up the corners or across the edges of the face (both or just one) without obvious differences in hardness from the body of the axe - all of that make us wonder as well.

It does seem that maybe there were more axes out there than we were previously aware of that may have some degree of hardening to the polls.

Someone here posted a Kelly Perfect that looked like it was "differentially" hardened and someone with more knowledge than me stated that to have that show in a poll like that then the maker went to extra steps/expense to make it happen.

Just for conversation's sake - Then there are weird things like this Norlund with a head pattern that doesn't match others I see having been offered, on a 28" handle, and shows darkening at the poll. Using a file, it isn't as hard as the exposed cutting edge but it doesn't give up material like the body of the axe does. Eh, who knows.

xU1CZpO.jpg

P1OYlyj.jpg

Hardened polls are interesting though.

Last edited:
I have a couple theories on why we may not recognize harden polls.

Regarding the older axes as listed id the above adds, these were made during the tail end of the real axe era. Competition was real and I could see the sales benefit of having a product with hardened poll. However (and correct me if I am wrong) these were made with mild steel body and inserted bit. How much hardening can the mild steel of the poll take? It most certainly would not be the same as a hammer, yet taking the extra step to harden the poll would mean a better product as well as a marketing advantage. This was also a time when many factories were tempering by hand. To harden the poll only meant flip the head over and quench the other end.

On the newer one piece heads, I can see how the extra step to harden polls was cut out. Some however, may have hardened polls. My theory on the ease of mushrooming or not so hammer like hardness, could be attributed to the thinness of the hardened area and the application. A 4lb sledge going to have around 1 1/2" of hardening on a 16" or 18" handle. A 4lb axe is going to have around 1/2" hardening on 32" or 36" haft. The amount of force during a swing is going to be much greater on the axe than on a hammer. Hammers will show wear after many years of hard use. An axe will show the wear faster due to the extra force with each blow. Now add someone using the axe as a splitting wedge and striking it with a 10lb sledge. One can easily see how an axe is going to quickly show wear.

Regarding the tempering, I find it difficult to see how one can easily harden a thin 1/2" area on the poll with such a large steel mass behind it. The bit is very thin and 2"+ are going to be hardened. With the poll, it is not going to take quenching the same. This being the small area in the quenching liquid and the large mass of steel behind it. The slower cooling may be a reason for the more easily mushroomed axe poll.

I am in no way a metal expert. Just a few ideas i had.

Regards,
Slim

Last edited:
Most of the axes will be forged from a single piece of steel, i.e no steel "insert"
I also think most of them are not "mild steel", but a higher grade of steel of some sort. Note many heads say "vanadium" on them, which would suggest they are not simply mild steel. Also "kelly" the (guy not the brand, forgot his actual name), he was a metallurgist by trade, and i think set up shop where he was, due to the close geographic proximity to elements to use in/improve his steel.

in regards to hardening both ends. I think that both ends would need to be quenched almost right after each other. Obviously the eye and poll may be dipped in different solutions/temp of solution, dipped to different depths, and for different periods of time. BUT if you were to harden, say only the bit, then heat it up again to harden the poll..well your going to screw up the heat treat on the end you just did, which leads me to think they probably hardended the bit, then dipped the poll quickly after.
Although only another small step that may not add much work. The timing and execution would need to be perfect in order to make it come out how intended. im sure the hammer end would be dipped for a different length of time, to a different depth, maybe even in a different solution from the bit to achieve the desired results.

I won an action the other day for a kelly (which is actually for my friend), which I believe has a hardened poll and is not a perfect. Will be interesting to see it when it shows up. Pretty sure its going to be another example of a hardened poll though :p

I won an action the other day for a kelly (which is actually for my friend), which I believe has a hardened poll and is not a perfect. Will be interesting to see it when it shows up. Pretty sure its going to be another example of a hardened poll though :p

Photos please. And I am curious to know the reasons why you believe it to be hardened, as well as methods used to determine its hardness.

So for the sake of knowledge, I gave my Kelly Perfect a vinegar bath.

Here is a before shot.
Temper%20before_zpsv3a7xs56.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And after. Looking here you can't see much of a line on the poll.
After%201_zpsatqfevss.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It is here that a distinction appears.
After%202_zpsoxu0bwog.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
After%203_zps9xakna38.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I would conclude that yes this Kelly Perfect has a hard poll.

Photos please. And I am curious to know the reasons why you believe it to be hardened, as well as methods used to determine its hardness.

Ok these are not my photos, they are from the listing, and its still on its way down to NZ so nothing is certain, but my reasons or process for deciding based on nothing but images / research is as follows. You never know till you get it in your hands.

A wise man on this forum once said something along the lines of "if you find an old ax that has obviously been used, but the poll does not look beaten your half way there".
Then the machined edged of the poll then increase the probability of the poll being hardened, though nothing is certain.
Then there certain designs which, (from what I can gather anyway), have a higher chance of having a hardened poll. i.e rafting pattern.
Then there is the general look of the poll. i.e more chippy than mushy/deformed or no damage at all. if the actual face is slightly rounded/smooth, (like a real hammer head face is not completely flat)

So I weigh the probability based on those factors. Throw in little bit of luck, cross my fingers and wait to see what shows up :)
This head is actually not for me. Its for another guy in our "club" (its the axemen and beer drinking enthusiasts club lol..its a very prestigious club)

KELLYHARD_zpsdr165at0.png

KELLYHARD2_zpsus1nc4tm.png

Last edited:
I would say that was a safe bet on it having a hard poll. I have a Flint Edge just like it, only difference is mine has a waffle poll.
I aslo like those drinking beer play with sharp object clubs. I partake in social drinking and dart games that rotate from house to house in our "club". Rum is our choice drink after a finished game.

Slim

Here is a Plumb ad stating a spring tempered head for driving wedges.
Plumb%20ad_zpsvzy1weyn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is what you want right here. The tough eye that resists deformation. A hardened poll is great but without a supporting eye the axe isn't really suited for heavy hammer use.

This is what I love about the Plumb rafting axes. They have thickened eye walls made from the same steel as the bit. No soft body to deform.

I thought we had a thread here which stated that Plumb Nationals were also made of one piece of solid steel. It may be possible to heat treat the eye and poll of those axes.

Fun finding this one as it was new to me. "It has a broad hardened head, making it an excellent spike and nail driver."

30495369383_ec5985fa05_c.jpg

Bob

Fine looking axe. Reminds me of the Tommy Axe with that claw. It should be noted that the Tommy Axe also has a hardened poll.

Back