1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Axial blade play

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Art Lewis, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Art Lewis

Art Lewis

Mar 17, 2009
    One of my three Mnandis and one of my two Sebenzas have slight axial blade play when half open, unlocked. What about yours?

2. Biginboca

Biginboca Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Play when locked is what bugs me, and I have never had any with any of the 20 or so CRK's I have owned. Never been concerned with play in an unlocked blade on a knife though.

3. johnnytoxin

johnnytoxin Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2010
    I dont feel any in my large 21. I wouldnt worry about it unless there is play when locked open

4. RiverRat84

RiverRat84 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Echo echo...I agree with the fellows above. I think the only time to sweat it is when the blade is locked. If your doing some cutting with the blade disengaged then that's a whole other issue;)

5. JNewell

JNewell Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I don't own as many CRK folders as many here, but I own about a dozen now and have had several more pass through my hands. Not one of them had axial play at all - that is one of the things that is most distinctive about CRK in my opinion. I am sorry you have had what must be truly miserable luck. Maybe you got all of them? :( ;)

6. Art Lewis

Art Lewis

Mar 17, 2009
    Perhaps what I consider as blade play you don´t. Yesterday I checked a store with a variety of CRK models. On all three large Sebenzas and two of three Mnandis I could feel the axial play. The majority of the small Sebenzas didn´t have it. It does not bother me much. As long as there is no play when locked open its fine. But when buying a new one, I always check for the super tight tolerances. (Open half way. Pull and push the blade back and forth. Trust your senses.)

7. Haze

Haze

Aug 2, 2004
    There has to be at least some amount of play in the pivot or it would just jam up.

8. Tripton

Tripton

May 26, 2008
    All of mine have all kinds of vertical play when half open, unlocked.

9. kawr

kawr

Jun 22, 2010
    There must be some movement when the blade is open and unlocked for the blade to actually be able to open and close. The fact that you cant detect that play on every single crk you handle just means you are human like the rest of us and are not mechanically consistent enough in your inspection process. Your senses are wrong and this is a stupid thread.

10. Franz_N

Franz_N

Apr 3, 2010
    I don't think this is a stupid thread, i noticed the same thing with sebenza's before, of course it's not really an issue but just something i haven't noticed in other knives, i think maybe it's because the pivot bushing.