Axis AFCK Scans

Eh?:confused: If the Axis mechanism sits in a position as to intefere for a clip to be mounted, that may be a reason. Although it doesn' t seem to be. But doesn' t the original 800 AFCK have liners and G10 scales as well?? The material used for its scales are irrelevant. Just look at the current Pardue Axis 720 and its G10 scaled variants. Their pocket clips are now mounted at the butt end. :(

Nakano

Originally posted by Nakano 2
Eh?:confused: If the Axis mechanism sits in a position as to intefere for a clip to be mounted, that may be a reason. Although it doesn' t seem to be. But doesn' t the original 800 AFCK have liners and G10 scales as well?? The material used for its scales are irrelevant. Just look at the current Pardue Axis 720 and its G10 scaled variants. Their pocket clips are now mounted at the butt end.

Ya lost me somewhere.... I think the problem is the amount of real estate underneath the scale that is taken up by the axis locking mechanism. When you have g10 over steel, you need to have the clip screws tapped into the steel liner. When you have aluminum over steel, you can just tap the aluminum and not have to get into the steel underneath (or actually, what I'm thinking is that the "steel underneath" isn't there; just a void taken up by various parts of the axis-locking mechanism). But where ya lost me is on the 720. Isn't is tapped on the pivot end anymore? The 721 and 722 suffer the same affliction as all the rest of the axis-locks. No place to screw the clip in.

Rockspyder, I think you have confused yourself. You asked if the 720 no longer had their screws drilled at their pivot end. Then you state that they were all afflicted with the problem that they had no room for the clip and their screws to be mounted at the pivot?? :confused:

Firstly, the Pardue 720 Axis originally had their pocket clip screws drilled for either tip up or down carry. The current models and the G10 variants all have their screws drilled for tip up carry only, either for left or right handed carry. A true ambi use folder. I guess in order to cut costs, BM decided down the line to offer only tip up ambi carry capability rather than include all 3 (tip up/ down/ ambi) carry. This decision was probably partly due to the forum members being vocal in favor of an ambi carry folder. So the early 720 Axis' indeed have tip down carry capability, its clip mounted at the PIVOT end. Do you follow?

Back to the subject. The "...amount of real estate under the scale..." is what I meant when I said about the Axis mechanisms' interference. However, I examined both the 800 AFCK and 720 Axis and found that both have their clip screw holes drilled right thru the liners. I don' t think the Axis mechanism will hinder the drilling of the clip screw holes near the pivot end on the new model Axis AFCK.

Nakano

Noooo.... what I said was the 721 and 722 were afflicted with the same problem as all the rest of the axis locks (with the exception of the 720). And all (except possibly the 720) have the problem of no real estate underneath the scales for to which (yeah, that's a good phrase ;) ) to tap the screws into. The 720 doesn't need the real estate under the scales, because the scales themselves (being aluminum) can be tapped. And what I mean about "real estate under the scales" is whether there is actually metal under the scales in the area the screws would come through. Looking at my 722, there appears to be plenty of metal and such under the scales, IAOI you place the screws as high above the pivot as possible. Which would be GREAT, since that would make for extremely deep pocket carry. The only other thing I can think of is for some reason they don't want to put the clip THAT high. And if you put it below the pivot, further in from the end (i.e. for shallow pocket carry, it probably wouldn't work because of the spring for the axis lock). The scales are milled out underneath there for the axis lock mechanism.

Bottom line, though, is I'm betting they just went for economy. :rolleyes:

Aha, I understand. :)

Still, recall the current AFCK 800 model has only its threaded liners to hold the clip screws. The G10 scale has no role here. So, if the AXIS AFCK has enough "estate" under its scales/ liners then a pocket clip should be able to be mounted here. Agree?

I also compare side by side, one of my AFCKs and one of my 720 Axis with the clip mounted at the pivot end, and it looks to me as if a pocket clip and its screws can be mounted on the AFCK without trouble. Unless the AXIS mechanism/ module varies from model to model. But I doubt that. Additionally, as I' ve mentioned already, the threaded screws of both are drilled right thru their liners. They are obviously visible if you look on the inside between their scales. So in this case at least, I see no interference with the AXIS mechanism.

But at the end I' ll agree that their decision was partially based on economy. And perhaps they felt that sales for tip up carry exceeded those of tip down carry. So let' s all vote for tip DOWN carry! :)

Nakano

Back