Baby GRS!!!!

:
Well it finally made it to Tulsa!!!!
Somehow the USPS got confused and sent my knife to Wagoner OK, gee I wonder how that happened?
biggrin.gif

Dayumed gubbiment services anyway!!

Anyway it's here and I am impressed as usual. The Baby GRS is all I had hoped for and this is the very 1st khukuri I have recieved that has the habaki bolster. I like it!!
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it is sharpened up nicely and ready to go.
Bura done his usually wonderful job on the hardness and fit and finish.
The karda and chakma have curved blades as well and are of nice size for the rig.
The Baby GRS confirms my likeing for the 16"-18" khukuris that I prefer over the larger sizes for general work.
smile.gif

I am looking forward to getting out and trying it out, but the weather is gonna have to warm up a bit before that happens.
Oklahoma weather can hurt, we have had some 70º days followed by 27º nights and that isn't a lot of fun.
frown.gif

But when Spring arrives it is usually fraught with twisters and severe storms so I don't know which is worse.
smile.gif

Yvsa, anxiously awaiting Spring, I think.
rolleyes.gif

It's nice isn't it Yvsa? I love the curve of the baby GRS. Does yours have a curved spine? Mine does, and I love it! The baby GRS is my only khukuri with a curved spine, most of the others have the V spine or the flat spine like the Malla.

:
I am anxious to try it out!!!!
Terry knows a place to go shooting and we may go Friday when he's off work and I may get to try it out a bit then.

Bro we don't have a "Fraidy Hole" but it has been in the back of my mind since '94 when the big evil twister hit just about a mile from our house pretty much wiping out most of Catoosa.
There was a smaller one that went right over our neighbor's house to the north, about 15 feet away. It got some of our shingles and the hail broke one of our windows and damaged some of the siding, pretty lucky I would say.
smile.gif

We were hunkered down in the bathroom which is the strongest part of our place.
The small one also blew over a couple of trees along the easement's tree line out back as well.

I recall a time when I was about 13 when there were 27 people hunkered down in grandma's and grandpa's very little cellar with my grandpa, dad and a few others, with one being my older brother out on the front porch about 30 feet away watching the storm.
There was a big clap of thunder following the lightning that struck a big cottonwood on grandpa's lot just to the west of the house.
The lightning knocked a big limb off the tree and the wind took it across the road and before the limb hit the ground my brother was clear in the back of the cellar. We never did figure out how he got there without trampling the people in the way.
biggrin.gif
We were so packed that you could hardly turn around and there was standing room only with grandma in her home made wheel chair that grandpa built out of an old kitchen chair and some casters.
Exciting times!!!!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

------------------
>>>>---Yvsa-G@WebTV.net---->®

"VEGETARIAN".............
Indin word for lousy hunter.

Yvsa, how does the baby GRS compare to your favorite 18" Ang Khola?

Weight? Feel?

Will

[This message has been edited by Will Kwan (edited 03-27-2001).]

:
Will I had forgotten about comparing them even though I recall I have talked about it.
I found out over the week end that what I have is called "Sometimer's", sometimes I can remember and sometimes I can't.
smile.gif

I will try to get the AK out of the safe tomorrow and see if I can get out back to the wood pile for a while for a small test between the two.

------------------

Yvsa, I just got my baby GRS today also!! Also made by Bura. A truly beautiful custom knife! I'll make a post when I evaluate it. Talk to you soon!

------------------
Chris B.

:
Oops!!!!
Kam, I almost missed your post.
frown.gif

Yes the Baby GRS has the radiused and curved spine, but the radius on the edge of the spine is a bit less pronounced, or it could be the thickness of the blade that just makes it look like less.
smile.gif

I weighed it as well an it comes in right on 1 3/4 Lbs.
The blade is 11" long and a tad over 2 1/4" wide.
smile.gif

------------------

:
Bro you're the engineer.
smile.gif

It's raining here today and not wanting to take a chance that I might melt I won't get around to compareing the BGRS and the 18" AK today.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------

Back