Back in The Fiddleback Forge Saddle again :)

TheFactor

Life is good !
Well had a couple a few years back and really liked the craftsmanship and Quality of these knives . Got a little frustrated trying to get a leather sheath for them you had to be quick on the draw when they popped up for sale . Anyway ended up selling them and getting into more tactical and traditional folders . Always missed my Fiddlebacks so I’ve made a full circle back since I’ve found a New one on the secondary market that came with a nice leather sheath and it appears it’s much easier to get leather sheaths now to .
Should be here tomorrow and I’m much looking forward to it and I’ll post some pics when it arrives :thumbsup:

Last edited:
There are some great sheathmakers out there. My favorite is Jason at Diomedes Industries but more specifically his apprentice Sarah at SoulBound Leather, LLC.

She made these sheaths for my Cohutta knives which are from Andy's former apprentice. So I guess I am a sucker for good apprentice work.

2YcvHjB.jpg

lu1olTu.jpg

Welcome back on the horse!

There are some great sheathmakers out there. My favorite is Jason at Diomedes Industries but more specifically his apprentice Sarah at SoulBound Leather, LLC.

She made these sheaths for my Cohutta knives which are from Andy's former apprentice. So I guess I am a sucker for good apprentice work.

2YcvHjB.jpg

lu1olTu.jpg

Welcome back on the horse!
Thank you !
Those are some Beautiful sheaths :thumbsup: and Knifes !!

Last edited:
Seems you already got the pic situation sorted

we like pics!
Any Olive wood handles in the works ?
My poor little Olive Wood fire starter and
Cutting board is in need of some companionship:)
Sl4kW1c.jpg

Last edited:
Any Olive wood handles in the works ?
My poor little Olive Wood fire starter and
Cutting board is in need of some companionship:)
Sl4kW1c.jpg
we do not. i asked for some input from the guys around the shop and they have experienced serious warping and cracking when working with it in the past. i don't foresee any coming through.
i also searched on here because i dont recall any ever being used here and come across an alder post from Alpha Knife Supply
".......The downside of olive is it likes to crack. When we cut olive we can hear the blocks cracking after we cut them to size. If you try to dry olive too fast it will crack. We usually lose at least half of the blocks to severe cracking from the time we cut and dry the blocks until we send them in for stabilizing."

Well had a couple a few years back and really liked the craftsmanship and Quality of these knives . Got a little frustrated trying to get a leather sheath for them you had to be quick on the draw when they popped up for sale . Anyway ended up selling them and getting into more tactical and traditional folders . Always missed my Fiddlebacks so I’ve made a full circle back since I’ve found a New one on the secondary market that came with a nice leather sheath and it appears it’s much easier to get leather sheaths now to .
Should be here tomorrow and I’m much looking forward to it and I’ll post some pics when it arrives :thumbsup:

Welcome back, now I am curious what you have coming. Yeah there was an odd time for sheaths between the time Andy stopped making them and a few sheath makers started making sheaths for them. JRE was always an option, but for most I think those were seen as being too utilitarian for the works of art Andy and crew tend to produce.

we do not. i asked for some input from the guys around the shop and they have experienced serious warping and cracking when working with it in the past. i don't foresee any coming through.
i also searched on here because i dont recall any ever being used here and come across an alder post from Alpha Knife Supply
".......The downside of olive is it likes to crack. When we cut olive we can hear the blocks cracking after we cut them to size. If you try to dry olive too fast it will crack. We usually lose at least half of the blocks to severe cracking from the time we cut and dry the blocks until we send them in for stabilizing."

Well darn. I was going to ask a similar question before I read this. Two of the knives I left Blade with came from Italy and have Olive wood handles. I'll have to make sure I take care of them and maintain them well I suppose. Luckily the fixed blade has bolt on scales and both come with great warranties. If the Olive wood scales fail I'll ask for the G10 scales next time I guess...depends how they fail I suppose...

Thanks for the reply and it actually makes a lot of sense after reading your post why it wouldn’t be a good choice for either one of us . I’m sure I’ll see something down the road on Fiddleback Friday that would match ok :thumbsup:

Welcome back, now I am curious what you have coming. Yeah there was an odd time for sheaths between the time Andy stopped making them and a few sheath makers started making sheaths for them. JRE was always an option, but for most I think those were seen as being too utilitarian for the works of art Andy and crew tend to produce.

Well darn. I was going to ask a similar question before I read this. Two of the knives I left Blade with came from Italy and have Olive wood handles. I'll have to make sure I take care of them and maintain them well I suppose. Luckily the fixed blade has bolt on scales and both come with great warranties. If the Olive wood scales fail I'll ask for the G10 scales next time I guess...depends how they fail I suppose...
Thanks !! Looks like it’s waiting for me at the home front but I won’t be able to get my paws on it until late this evening .

Welcome back

That said f--k Olivewood. It looks nice but that stuff is toxic to work with. I can roll in Poison Oak/Ivy and not break out. I shaped the handle of an Opinel Ebauche in Olivewood on a belt sander and broke out in welts/rashes all over my exposed skin. Once it was finished and sealed with boiled linseed oil it was ok to handle. Just the oils in Olivewood are bad news when they aerosolize. Looks nice, but it makes me itch thinking about it.

Well after a hard day at work I was able to come home to open the box from the fruits of thy labor :D
Wow I don’t know we’re to start or how to say it . It’s absolutely stunning what a beautiful knife ! The craftsmanship is remarkable and I’m honestly beyond words . It feels so good in hand and is eye candy at its finest . I apologize in advance for the poor pictures as the lighting was bad being night time and to be honest it was really hard to put this beautiful Fiddleback forge down long enough to take pictures lol .Not sure who made this leather sheath but it’s also well made and fits like a glove .
Thank you Fiddleback Forge for making such beautiful knives for everyone to enjoy and this one is a prime example .
Time to start saving for my next :eek: :D
I’m sure everyone here knows what model this one is but for those that don’t it’s The Ladyfinger sporting Oreo burlap Micarta :thumbsup:
DsddUyY.jpg

ardYSfG.jpg

32aMiVV.jpg

ChkK7GG.jpg

xm9lobI.jpg

Welcome back

That said f--k Olivewood. It looks nice but that stuff is toxic to work with. I can roll in Poison Oak/Ivy and not break out. I shaped the handle of an Opinel Ebauche in Olivewood on a belt sander and broke out in welts/rashes all over my exposed skin. Once it was finished and sealed with boiled linseed oil it was ok to handle. Just the oils in Olivewood are bad news when they aerosolize. Looks nice, but it makes me itch thinking about it.

Damn, that sucks. I have a friend who has a similar reaction to Bocote.

Well after a hard day at work I was able to come home to open the box from the fruits of thy labor :D
Wow I don’t know we’re to start or how to say it . It’s absolutely stunning what a beautiful knife ! The craftsmanship is remarkable and I’m honestly beyond words . It feels so good in hand and is eye candy at its finest . I apologize in advance for the poor pictures as the lighting was bad being night time and to be honest it was really hard to put this beautiful Fiddleback forge down long enough to take pictures lol .Not sure who made this leather sheath but it’s also well made and fits like a glove .
Thank you Fiddleback Forge for making such beautiful knives for everyone to enjoy and this one is a prime example .
Time to start saving for my next :eek: :D
I’m sure everyone here knows what model this one is but for those that don’t it’s The Ladyfinger sporting Oreo burlap Micarta :thumbsup:
xm9lobI.jpg

Beautiful Ladyfinger. I had one in Paduk (sp?) years ago, would like to have another one some day.

Back