Back lock failure?

I have an endura I have carried nearly daily since I bought it. Honestly can't even remember buying it I've had it so long, at least 15 years I'd guess

A couple weeks ago I dropped it while sharpening and the knife closed as it hit the floor. Since, I have found that I can close it applying nominal pressure on the spine of the blade without touching the lock.

Should I take it apart to see if it's just gunk in the lock? I hate putting these back together. Had to do that several years ago to clean it when I lost it fishing and it spent a couple hours sitting in salt water before I realized it had fallen off my tackle box. Took me a few hours to get it back together correctly.

This knife has some sentimental value and I would like to carry it again.

I have an endura I have carried nearly daily since I bought it. Honestly can't even remember buying it I've had it so long, at least 15 years I'd guess

A couple weeks ago I dropped it while sharpening and the knife closed as it hit the floor. Since, I have found that I can close it applying nominal pressure on the spine of the blade without touching the lock.

Should I take it apart to see if it's just gunk in the lock? I hate putting these back together. Had to do that several years ago to clean it when I lost it fishing and it spent a couple hours sitting in salt water before I realized it had fallen off my tackle box. Took me a few hours to get it back together correctly.

This knife has some sentimental value and I would like to carry it again.

Check for lint or gunk in the place the lock tab falls into. It shouldn’t require taking the knife apart. If that doesn’t work send it to Spyderco for repair and they’ll hook you up.

First get in there with some strong light, some magnification and a tooth pick and see if there isn't some pocket lint or other crud that you can dig out.

I experienced a similar thing with a back lock a few weeks ago. Was just some pocket lint. It wasn't even one I have carried all that much. Surprised me.

It's just fine now.

First get in there with some strong light, some magnification and a tooth pick and see if there isn't some pocket lint or other crud that you can dig out.

I experienced a similar thing with a back lock a few weeks ago. Was just some pocket lint. It wasn't even one I have carried all that much. Surprised me.

It's just fine now.

Well, I just took it apart and cleaned everything There was a little bit of crud in there. Got it back together pretty easily this time. The issue is still there. Guess I'll ship it off for warranty. Thanks all.

This may fall under normal wear and tear. A backlock will wear out eventually. If you've used it for 15 years that may be the case, but it never hurts to send it in.

Check for lint or gunk in the place the lock tab falls into. It shouldn’t require taking the knife apart. If that doesn’t work send it to Spyderco for repair and they’ll hook you up.

This.

Spyderco will take care of you, p.ease update when it comes back.

The engagement lockbar tooth that sits in the tang on Spydercos older lockbacks is quite shallow, strong enough but the shallow depth is what helps it be easy to operate and unlock. Very different to the newer lockbacks they do on the native and manix, the lockbars on those sit much deeper in the tang groove giving much longer life and room to wear. Just like cold steels, even if they got sloppy or worn they would never be able to fail just because of how deep the lockbar sits in the tang, it can get sloppy after 20 years (maybe with abuse) but never come out or fail because the angles dont allow for slippage.

Well, you could always use it as it was a slipjoint (do not stab or apply pressure on the spine) and you will be golden. Anyway, I suggest you send it back to Spyderco... That's not an option for me since I live in Spain but living in the US... I wouldn't hesitate!

Back