Back to "pocket clip" carry

I was using a small nylon pouch for my Small Sebbie. Tonight I noticed that the pointed tops of the scales had worn a hole in the nylon. It was just a small nylon sheath that I thought was large enough to hold the knife with the pocket clip attached. I guess I was wrong about the size. Pouch carry kept the Seb cleaner and more secure, however pocket clip carry is more discrete. Ah, well.
In regards to a small regular, undecorated Sebenza, I'd like to know how most of you carry. Sheath, pocket clip, or pocket clip removed and carried like a "normal" pocket knife.

Thanks,
Will

I carry my small Left Handed Sebenza clipped in my Left front watch/coin pocket.

This way it doesn't get scratched by my keys and change in my Left front pocket.

This is the first knife I have carried with the pocket clip and I like it.

------------------
Rick Gray - Left Handers Unite

Will,

My EDC is a small decorated sebbie with the new style clip. (big improvement).
carry it clipped to the right front pocket.
The small sits high enough that coins, keys and my hand still get in there.

recoil

I carry a plain small Sebenza, when I wear jeans. I don't use the clip; but I keep it on, since it looks better with it than without (even with the clip insert). It sits loose in my left pocket, along with some keys. It's a bit scuffed up from rubbing against things in my pocket, from being dropped, etc. But the scuffs and scratches suit it just fine. Sebenza means "work"--not "foofy"--in Zulu. And I take every opportunity to make it work. ("Cut Thrice, Think Later.") I haven't thrown it (other than tip first into soil) or tried to pry boulders in half with it. But I've cut, whittled, chopped, poked, sliced, diced, and mildly pried any number of things with the knife, all without adverse effects (to the knife, that is). I haven't disassembled it, cleaned it (other than with running water), or lubricated it yet; and it continues to open as smoothly as it did the day I took it out of the box, way back when.

I should have a new small wood-inlay Sebenza by the end of the week (which will be my dressy-casual carry). I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it in its little leather pouch, or let it go loose like the Plain. Have any of you carried a wood-inlay loose in your pockets over a long period? Do the inlays hold up pretty well? I don't expect it to stay shiny, smooth, and glossy. But if the wood is soft enough that it's easily gouged or deeply scratched, that might be a problem. Has anyone had any problems with shrinkage, expansion, or cracking of the inlays? Does anyone know if Reeve's shop can replace damaged inlays?

Scott

I carry my Small Sebenza every day clipped to my right front pocket. It has been that way every day for the past 4 years. Played with an Umfaan for a while and found myself carrying that in addition to the Small Sebbie. Attached to the lanyard on my Sebenza is a white Photon II and a Saint Michael (Patron Saint of Paratroopers) medal. I use the Sebbie and the Photon several times a day. Won't leave home without them.

Rick

------------------
Please reply to: rnpollard@hotmail.com

Hoah! (Its an Army thing!)

I carry mine a variety of ways.
Sometimes clipped to the pocket, other times in a Gary Graley sheath (works with or without the clip), and sometimes in the watch pocket of my jeans-no clip.

EDC is a small regular CGG line drive model. Clip is removed and she rides in a canted G2 sheath. Blends in between my pager and cellphone. Contact G2 for the sheath... you'll be glad you did
smile.gif

Hey LDSDFW

I've read that the wood inlays on Sebenzas are "stabilized" which apparently means that other than the molecules, it's not really wood anymore. I'm sure it scratches, but it's not going to rot.

Great to hear of another Sebenza user who uses it like it was meant to be used. The scratches and scrapes only add character amigo.

I'm starting to want a wood inlay, maybe a Mnandi or a Small Sebbie. It won't get any special treatment though... into the pit with the rest of the tools.....
biggrin.gif

Brandon

I have two small Sebenza knives, wood inlay and classic. Both are carried in CRK leather pouch with clip removed and addition of insert filler option.

Every day carry is classic small, leather pouch is very secure in pocket of dress trousers. The lanyard/fob makes removal from pouch quick and smooth. Woodie small is for weekends and evening carry, usually in button down shirt pocket.

My Sebenzas are gents knives, do not need quick draw with clip. I usually carry a BM or Spyde cliped to front pocket for the "can I borrow your knife?" situations or really abusive applications.

Regards,
FK

I second the motion, you will not go wrong with one of Gary's sheaths. I have had mine about a year and it is still as good as the day i received it, and i wear it everyday of the week. If normal sheaths are on the level of chevy's and fords, then his are Hummers.
biggrin.gif

------------------

Hermie

Rick Pollard,
Were you serious about the St. Michael thing? I don't want to have to jump out but if I HAVE to, I want the St. Michael medal on my Sebenza's lanyard too.
I like Photons too! I always carry at least two. There's one in my pass port pouch also.
I'm using WebTV. (Grumble..) It won't print Gary's whole page. Can somebody put some pictures up of the pouches for Small Plain Sebenzas, please? I'd appreciate it very much!

Will

[This message has been edited by Will.223 (edited 05-14-2001).]

Nice work! beautiful leather, color, all of it. But while I can appreciate work like that, and even dress like that for very special occasions, for EDC, is IWB carry for me whether its a large or small seb. I switched from strict pocket to IWB carry years ago have never thought to go back so long as I'm wearing a tucked in shirt. If I'm not wearing a tucked in shirt of any kind, then I must be outside working (or in bed where my wife would object to a pocket knife clip or no clip
smile.gif
) and pocket carry (with clip) works fine.

Also I discover that I can return the knife with one hand only if it goes into or is clipped to my pocket. To return it to the waist band usually takes two hands. So when I deploy the knife from the waistband, it goes back into my pocket if I have only one hand to work it, and then back IWB when my other hand is free. This applies to all my pocket knives, not just the sebs...

[This message has been edited by matthew rapaport (edited 05-15-2001).]

I'm with Rick. I like mine in my left front jeans pocket. That way it is ready for use without searching in my pocket. I draw my knife with my left hand and clipped to the pocket I can retrieve it without looking for it. Keyes coins and anything hard goes into my right jeans pocket. Living in the L.A./Orange County area, sheath carry is not an option, too many sheeple.

I have a G2 sheath that I enjoy very much. I also carry quite a bit with a clip. Being in Tejas there are many times when a clip is more appropriate, such as with shorts or swim trunks. Can't be without my Benza, but I'd rather use the sheath which I do when appropriate.

Brandon

Edited to cut down on the bandwidth dealy.....

smile.gif

G2

[This message has been edited by Gary W. Graley (edited 05-17-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OwenM:
Michael,
Here's a link to Gary's site, and yes, my sheath works fine with the clip attached. Got the clip off at the moment, though.
</font>

Owen, your clip must slide over the leather? as there isn't enough room inside the sheath to allow for the clip...and that would probably scar the leather a bit I would imagine?

G2

Gary,
Yes, the clip goes over the leather. The clip made a tiny impression on the leather, which is only visible when you look at it up close-no scratching, just a barely visible outline of the clip.
Only used it like that because I was going out of town the day the sheath came. Got the sheath, tried the knife with the clip on, it was fine, and I hit the road. Didn't take the clip off until I came back, though I've used it with the clip on several times, since.

btw, the sheath is a very secure fit, and I've gotten alot of compliments on it
smile.gif

Love it.

[This message has been edited by OwenM (edited 05-16-2001).]

Back