Backpack-camping in Western WA

Hey guys!

A friend of mine has been bugging me to go backpacking with him for a couple of months now, but I'm really not in shape for 10+ mile hikes for days on end.

An alternative I've wanted to suggest is backpack camping - hiking to a location and spending a few days there before heading out again. My only problem is I've never done such a thing before, and I'm not sure if there's anywhere nearby that I could do it.

Ideally, I want to find a lake that I could fish in and camp nearby, so I don't have to bring quite as much food.

Anyone ever been to/heard of a spot that might work?

Drop into one of the REI stores, they're actually pretty good about giving advice on that. Plus some have tables with forest service to get permits for parking.

Look at www.wta.org

great website for finding trails near you, with reviews and great updates.

Pick something short and easy for the first few hikes to just get used to gear, movement with loaded pack, set-up, etc.
The REI suggestion is great too. They will also know about local hiking groups.

Your suggestion is a good idea, especially for a first time. You will get to enjoy some time on a trail with your existence on your back with a tangible goal to ease your experience. I would continue the REI echo and urge you to rent lightweight gear there over carrying heavy car camping equipment. Of course borrow whatever you can and be sure to check the fishing regulations for where you're going as WA is pretty inconsistent. Even with the fish, take plenty of food.

I used to take my GF up to Diablo Lake when we wanted to send a few days walking in the woods. You have options for muntains or just hiking along the river, and a nice lake to fis in too.

Back