Backpacking knife

Good morning, peeps! I have a question regarding backpacking. I would like to start backpacking soon, and ofcourse this is a excuse to purchase another knife. I do own an esee 3hm, Dpx hest fixed, Buck 101, bk16, bk10, etc.. So I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a small pocket knife, as I'm pretty new to the backpacking world. I have been looking at the small Fallkniven U2, but not sure if that small folder would actually suffice. I won't be out batoning the land, and building shelters for myself.. So I was wondering about other knives that are around $100 or a little less, that people have had experiences with on their journeys, and how they liked them, as to give me some other ideas on some other knives, that I'm not thinking of. Did that even make sense? Lol! I hope you all understand what I'm trying to get at. Have a great day today as well

When backpacking, I carry a ~4" fixed blade bushcraft-style knife on a dangler sheath and have a SAK in my pocket or in a pack pocket. That combo pretty much covers all my needs and provides a back-up, too.
I have the day off today, cause of the weather.. I was legit perusing the vic saks, as your message came through. I actually don't even own one. I'll keep looking at them. Appreciate it, brother

I think you have to own at least one SAK to even be considered as a knife enthusiast... ;)

One more thing: the little saw blade on some SAKs can be extremely handy on a backcountry trip. Good luck in your knife quest and happy backpacking!

HGUBv4R.jpg

That's what I'm peeping. The only serrated blade I own, is a sog Pentagon dagger, that I never use lol. I greatly appreciate the push, and have a great day today, Bob!

You and Bob, sold me. The sak, is the only thing that I actually do need, but I always avoid that subject, and look at fixed blades lol! I'd like a 9" or above blade, as well.. eventually. But that's a whole other day.... Month actually.. probably in the fall, unfortunately lol! That thread was great as well. Appreciate it. All of those 62's.. and those 15's, are they? Those are amazing looking as well. I started too late in the game lol. I'm hitting up the sites and scooping up a sak today. I appreciate the kick, Wasty. Have a great day today, brother

If you're trying to shave ounces off your load, it's hard to beat the Benchmade mini bugout @ 1.5 ounces, $120 gives you a locking s30v blade which SAK doesn't. It doesn't have a saw blade but I find that it's worth carrying a separate longer saw, such as the Backcountry Access saw, just because longer saws are infinitely more effective (every inch helps) when you need to clear a downed tree limb blocking the trail or build a fire. Ps. You might want to avoid Fallkniven folding knives. I gifted my brother a Fallkniven Tre Kronor TK3 and he said after minimal use, the blade would no longer stay shut in his pocket and he was afraid to carry it. Their customer service is also notoriously nonexistent.

Last edited:
If you're trying to shave ounces off your load, it's hard to beat the Benchmade mini bugout @ 1.5 ounces, $120 gives you a locking s30v blade which SAK doesn't. It doesn't have a saw blade but I find that it's worth carrying a separate longer saw, such as the Backcountry Access saw, just because longer saws are infinitely more effective (every inch helps) when you need to clear a downed tree limb blocking the trail or build a fire. Ps. You might want to avoid Fallkniven folding knives. I gifted my brother a Fallkniven Tre Kronor TK3 and he said after minimal use, the blade would no longer stay shut in his pocket and he was afraid to carry it. Their customer service is also notoriously nonexistent.
Appreciate it, brother. I'll peep the bugout as well. What's wrong with 2 blades? Lol

Depends on your style of backpacking but a Swiss Army for sure. Given I tried to trout fish as much as possible on our hikes and the fact we usually carried blocks of cheese and sausage for lunch stops, I also normally had something like a light, thin fixed blade in the 4 to 5-inch range. This was all before the current "bushcraft" fad but I would still feel comfortable with that combination in the backcountry. You could do worse than a 5-inch Victorinox boning knife in some kind of sheath. A generation ago many people were satisfied with a Herder's "Improved Bowie," which wasn't much different than a meat packer's boning knife

I have a friend who is a bit of a nomad and sleeps outdoors all over the country a great deal. I have tried to get him into knives, but he has been relying on one of those SAKs with a locking blade and saw (trekker?) forever, and sees no reason to change.

I typically backpack (and hike in general) with my White River Backpacker Pro and/or my Spyderco Pacific Salt. Both have served me well and are around your price point.

CcaoT9z.jpg

GqtO0pf.jpg
I spotted those last night, and am now eyeballing those WR backpacking knives as well, on top of a sak lol. I have a dpx, and I love that same size of a blade. I bet the s30 would treat me well.

A SAK is great. I use the bottle opener the most followed by the blade for slicing up limes. Add a mora and you've got versatility and a practical pair at a pretty cheap price point. So cheap that if you lose them you probably won't care.

Back