• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Bad day in the garage

Damn, what a bad day. (I don't feel bad though)

First, I burn a table with a trouble light. I was using it to heat my knives after Militec, left it on for a few hours. When I finally went to go check on them, I could smell something starting to burn, lifted up the box and nothing. I then noticed some black stuff around the light, so I lifted that up. Needless to say, I found a huge chared spot in the middle of my table. Not only that but my knives were too hot to handle...

Then 3rd attempt on the homemade micarta, switched from those 2 vial epoxies (from the 2nd and successful attempt), to the Fiberglass resin. I think I put too much hardener, and made too much at one time. Also I almost forgot to put the wax. So when I got to the 3rd or 4th layer, I noticed that the resin was jello-ie. I tried mixing it to soften or break it up, but I broke my stiring stick. The cup got really hot (could see steam) and melted a plastic coating on the outside of the cup I was keeping it in.

So I got a burnt my work bench, then I made a 5" by 6", 4 layer sheet of micarta. What a day.

I can't help but laugh.....
Of course I can't help but htink of the hundreds of times I did something similar to your doings...

Peter is right....keeps you humble...

Doc

Heat your plates up with a torch or something, they will peel off without too much trouble.

Matt Shade said:
Heat your plates up with a torch or something, they will peel off without too much trouble.

Yep did that today, I still got to work on the table though.

Ok, question time:

I got a thin sheet of micarta (like product) out of the plates, but there are many spots where the epoxy didn't get to well. What causes this?

I'm sure I put even pressure, and I'm sure I put enough epoxy.

Unless, it was because it started hardening up when I was laying down the layers.

OH, one more, if I decrease the amount of hardener, will it give me more working time, and not sacrifice strength? I'm using a Bondo all purpose fiberglass resin (something like that).

The bad spots are most likely the result of the resin setting up.If it gels,if is too late.
I would get rid of the Bondo stuff.It is designed for quick repairs and fast setting time.Get some regular epoxy resin from a boat supply or plastic supply.Talk to the sales rep about what you are doing.Tell them you want the slowest possible set time.They can guide you on slowing the set time.To a degree,reducing the hardener will slow set time.But it can affect the hardness and stickiness of the cured resin.

Back