Bad Luck with Blades, But CS is there to save!

OK first off I got one SP-53 from Amazon had a bad grind so figure get another SP-53 from Amazon (Amazon LLC) it had a worse uneven grind. I got the knives as NEW and well...what I stated earlier happened.

I gave myself a 24 hour cool down before doing any thing, I sent an E-mail to KnifeSales@ontarioknife.com to a very nice CS person to ask if they got my first knife (yes on that! :D ) and problems with the second knife, I asked if they wanted me to send it back to Amazon or if they wanted it to look over. They wanted it to look over so now need to do the label thingy to get it to them. They want to look it over like the first one so that tells me they want to figure out some thing out and such. I got the E-mail back this morning and it really made me feel positive again after done reading it. I figured it may help, or may not, them improve their system. Which I'm happy to do as I do REALLY REALLY like their uber quality products at the fantastic price points they are at!

I first got an SP-10 on lookitcool but found its a dang great good all round heavy hunk or perfect 1095 steel! Got an SP-51 I some how destroyed the sharp edge on by myself, my bad on that, but got it redone at Razor Edge as I live close by, the grind/blade master asked "How did you do that?" as he was perplexed as I was. That was my start with OKC products just this year after getting another one also :thumbup:. Then found the wonderful Ranger RD7s after over researching them, I wanted 5160 and such, they are great middle use tools that can do little and big knife stuff, not perfectly got dang good enough. Got another RD7 and decided the RD9 since they were discontinued and I wanted one good flat grind big blade. Some reason I ordered an RD6...but remembered some one needs a present. The SP-53s so far well as stated, I got use for these heavy machete/real survival blade types, so far my SP-51s have filled the bill and the SP-10 does the job OK surprisingly. I got multiples to keep at various locations because I forget things to easily.

Ask you can see I went a bit OKC crazy this year, and I probably won't buy another OKC knife again! Well because I think I got the one's I need but if I lose one, well I know where the best deal to get one is. Now my ideal OKC knife would be a SP-51 with the .25" version of the Rtac II, but they got good enough close compromise models like the ones I got. I compromised on what I EXACTLY wanted in the Ranger RD ones I got but at the price point that boosted them to IDEAL! :D Now if OKC made a nice stainless hunting 4-6" blade with a gut hook, that I'd buy next.

I don't blame OKC at all for a few oopsies that sneak through QC, what other models I got from them shows they make great products! And their Customer Service and GREAT WARRANTY will take care of every thing I predict.

Oh I got a sheath from knife center that fits SP-47s and other 8 inch knives I'm going to see if they fit the RD7, I'll post later on if they do, if not I got a sheath for another knife I destroyed the inner liner on. :D

Last edited:
The about 7 dollar sheath fits the RD7 from knife center. Just no top strap for it, the strap for this one is on the bottom it its got the adjustable size snap on it, I guess an easy add your own top strap and snap looks easy to do on it. Its for an 8" knife as the length from the RD7 to handle to knife tip, it makes it fit good enough.

Well just awaiting response of the response they sent me. My response was I want the same Model SP-53 I sent to OKC if people are watching this thread. It was just a bad thing happening, my 7 other OKC knives I got this year are freaking fantastic!

One SP-10 (first OKC knife impulse buy but a great all round "Beater" blade)
Two SP-51s (one extra because they are discontinued and to have in car, true ALL ROUND heavy work knife!)
Two RD-7s (one extra because they are discontinued and to have ready when needed and other for car and got for great all around midsized knife that can do big and small blade things)
One RD-6 (impulse grab but turned out to be a great mid to small knife tasker that can do some big blade things)
One RD-9 (got for a big blade flat grind and was surprised how it can do smaller knife things when needed to do it)

I'm sorry to hear about that. Amazon LLC usually sends good quality, at least in my experience. Maybe you should have just sent it back to Amazon for a refund and tried your luck with another seller. I hear OKC has great customer service but going through it by sending in the knife there would probably take longer.

Maybe your right, the E-mail I got back for both knives was very disappointing. Really with the other great OKC products I have, I was very disappointed in reply I got from the SP-53s I sent in.

Maybe your right, the E-mail I got back for both knives was very disappointing. Really with the other great OKC products I have, I was very disappointed in reply I got from the SP-53s I sent in.

So what did OKC tell you in the email?

Ditto.................what was their response?

I'm still chasing the mythical "perfect SP-10" myself.

They said they were "With in specifications" but the problems with the blades were much greater than the "Small variations" in each blade due to the hind grinding that I was told they were. My SP-51s have some small variations that I expected from a hand ground blade what others would call "Imperfections" but they don't effect the blades at all.

Still trying to getting it sorted out.

My other knives from them I stated Are GREAT! I just want the SP-53s to do an easier job on the harder stuff I do with my SP-51s.

As for chasing that "perfect SP-10, get a regular one to use till the "perfect" one comes out! Like one in that other thread with the leather stacked handle and a steel pummel for thumpin and whumpin!

I've got my perfect SP-10 now, along with one that I won't feel bad stripping, modifying, and pounding into submission. Win-win. ;)

Odd still no word from them, I was hoping to have new SP-53s before beer season :very_drunk: ...er Deer season.

OK its back to the original title of how I feel about OKC! I figured there was a snafu on their side, but they would make it right. And boy did they ever! The only SP-53s they can offer me are now just beginning production which they want to get right and such, so they offered me a free knife from their site to make up for the FoxPaw of me falling through the cracks! They must of looked at some other knives as they thanked me for reminding them of the problems with the ones I had. Both uneven grinds, first one put a twist in the cutting edge and second was way over done on one side. Both were done before May when they said on this site they really revamped their QC. Given the great QC on the other OKC knives I got I figured it was a a bad luck of the draw. You might say I'm a bit of a big OKC fan for a company that makes such great products at great prices! All my OKC knives are working knives, a few are in "Reserve" in case one gets lost or coerced by a niece to turn one over.

Really I was just inquiring about the knives, as I figured a smaller company has to do production runs of knives and not have a lot of dedicated production lines to have them available immediately all the time.

My SP-51s have been filling in along with the SP-10, the SP-53s would of done a bit better job but the SP-51 with their saber grinds didn't let me down. I got the SP-51s for general woods and camp use and the spear point makes a better general use knife blade for my purposes. The SP-10 got used when I forgot the other knives or my brother snatched one...or it was just fun to hack with a real bowie knife on some thing. :angel:

Now hard part what one to get...the Ontario Bushcraft Woodsman isn't out yet I guess...but then there are other good ones...

Ok AFTER VERY VERY HARD decision making and looking at my needs....selected the...

CHIMERA!

Almost got the SK-5 but well I got those needs filled with harder use RD knives. (yeah it was HARD to say no to one), bigger knives I got so No RTAKII and such, or bayonet or smaller Spec II knives I was looking at...

A decent utility blade that's a true work horse I think will fill the gap the RDs been covering.

It would of been an RD6...Again if I didn't already decided to get another one to replace an expected loose this deer season...a relative or two were interested in grabbing it for the season.

Believe me it wasn't easy to choose! But I went through what I had figured what I needed, heck the SPAXE was in the running even. But the Chimera seems to fit the needed niche. Its just going to be nicer having it around I feel.

Well to end a long tale of the two SP-53s...

Got them finally after being in the big glitch of being between their production runs.

Blades are GREAT! I suppose if I took a micrometer and went over each nano inch fraction I'd find a flaw to whine about, but these aren't $500 knives to expect such anal perfection. If one looks very very very very very closely...bah they are great blades with good and even grinds.

The production date is April 2016, so the wait as long as I was told it would be about. Their QC seems to of improved, but then my previous ones were pre May 2015 before they revamped their QC and I think they slipped by. But they gave me a any free knife from their web site for me extra waiting! :D They wanted to get them right and then they did rightly! And they look purdy! To bad they won't look that way to long.

The time for the replacements was long as people will point out, but as stated before they wanted to get new production to me, and they were just beginning their new SP-53 production cycle. I already had a few SP-51s to fill in, but the wait was worth while as these new production blades show their new QC is really great now.

Roguer,

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with them. Customer Service and QC will be really happy to know it as well.

We're still more of a classic American manufacturer. A lot of work is done by hand, and you're right - those knives are not going to be 100% symmetrical. That said, my job takes me in the the production area multiple times each week, and it's amazing to talk to some of the people who have been doing this since before I was born. What it's all about now is striking a balance - old school experience with high tech controls. That's the difference between the SP-53s that you had and the ones you just received.

On the one hand, I'm sorry to hear that this took so long. But I take a lot of pride in knowing that they eventually just flat out told you that the other SP-53s we had in stock weren't going to work and it was time for a new batch. That's the kind of transparency that I like to see from companies, and that will let us really hold ourselves accountable to our customers.

Roguer,

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with them. Customer Service and QC will be really happy to know it as well.

We're still more of a classic American manufacturer. A lot of work is done by hand, and you're right - those knives are not going to be 100% symmetrical. That said, my job takes me in the the production area multiple times each week, and it's amazing to talk to some of the people who have been doing this since before I was born. What it's all about now is striking a balance - old school experience with high tech controls. That's the difference between the SP-53s that you had and the ones you just received.

On the one hand, I'm sorry to hear that this took so long. But I take a lot of pride in knowing that they eventually just flat out told you that the other SP-53s we had in stock weren't going to work and it was time for a new batch. That's the kind of transparency that I like to see from companies, and that will let us really hold ourselves accountable to our customers.

Nice reply!

Back