1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Recommendation? Bailout Alternative

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Adan, May 26, 2019.

1. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    [​IMG]

mdrgn79, Banter 247 and Lapedog like this.
  2. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Try the Hogue version of the Grip, much better than the original Benchmade, looks and performs great

3. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Honestly glockboy an scooterG are right; the only real option is disposable blades. Nothing is going to cut roofing shingles for long before it is going to be beyond dull.

Check out the Spectrum Energetics utilizer if you want to have the flyest disposable blade knife on any roof.

4. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Yes, by your own omission nonetheless. On average, I'd not expect 3v to have better edge retention than s30v. Your entire premise was a fail before you started. I'm not trying to be rude, just telling it as I've experienced.

I agree with others that a box cutter with disposable blades is a far more effective option.

Mo2 likes this.
  5. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Aye, I hate to bore you with a consensus, but there aren’t any blade steels designed to hold up to shingles or any silica-embedded materials.

If you’re dead-set on a knife, I’d opt for something like Maxamet that has loads of wear resistance and strength. Maybe Elmax.

Really, though, you’ll get more mileage with utility razors.

6. cbrstar

cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
    Pm3. There's nothing not to like about the knife

7. scottc3

scottc3 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Ditto what Comeuppance said-
    I see a new material to test edges against: composition single:rolleyes:
    Because, well because lasers would be unsafe...

8. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    I use a Milwaukee hawksbill for skinning, it’s one of many cause, let’s face it, I’m a knife addict.

9. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    $190 worth of blades should last a while. :):thumbsup:

mdrgn79 and colin.p like this.
  10. bachman44

bachman44 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2018
    I couldn't imagine trying to use a folding knife with any steel when I was roofing. Get the hook blades for cutting shingles and keep them fresh. Then, you can use your bugout for cutting the bundles open.

mdrgn79 and Lapedog like this.
  11. bearfacedkiller

bearfacedkiller

Jan 23, 2014
    No steel will hold an edge cutting shingles. On top of that I would expect a lot of edge damage.

If you want a knife that otherwise meets your criteria then get a ManixLW in S110V.

12. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    As the consensus have said: for cutting shingles go with a sturdy, disposable blade.

Neither a Bugout nor a Bailout, even in adamantium, would last long against shingles.

mdrgn79 and brando555 like this.
  13. Adan

Adan

Feb 7, 2015
    Wow, you weren't even trying huh? Pardon me, but rudeness seems to come easily to you. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Maybe roofing shingles are just too tough a task for any folding knife. I'll look into the Spyderco Manix LW S110V, and maybe a Havalon Piranta.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    mdrgn79 likes this.
  14. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
  15. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Not sure how well it would work on roofing tiles, but he could carbidized the edge of his fancy knife. Not idea for cutting some things due to its not so perfect edge. But it may help cut that media. I don't have experience with that but have read a lot about it.

16. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    I think the point here is to get the right tool for the right job...

If you have a good knife it can support you for most tasks, however the concept of a tool is often to been both efficient and disposable

A tool tends to get beaten and abuse per nature.

If you want to do some roofing, get a tool designed for that, and get the cheapest one to save some money for a better knife :)

ScooterG likes this.
  17. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016

From Cedric Ada tests you can see that s90v has more edge retention than 52100... But what happens when you cut sand paper? Complete opposite results. Please take into consideration that one data point is not enough to encompass what knife edge retention actually is. And there is likely no steel in a pocket knife that's going to be effective at cutting very abrasive materials.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    steff27 likes this.