Bailout Blade Question

Hi folks - I'm hoping I can get some advice. I'm looking at the Bailout as my daily carry—mostly light-duty, nothing heavy. I live in the south; so humid most of the year.

How big of a difference is there between the two blade options, CPM-3V Steel & CPM-M4 Steel.
I'd prefer to stay at the 3V price range, but if it means more wear and maintenance, maybe not.

My vote is M4 it is ah lil more $ upfront but it holds an edge very good and the aluminum factory scales are far better than the giveroy I like the 3v I actually purchased one and put some RSD scales on it but if I had to choose it would be M4 hope this helps

My vote is M4 it is ah lil more $ upfront but it holds an edge very good and the aluminum factory scales are far better than the giveroy I like the 3v I actually purchased one and put some RSD scales on it but if I had to choose it would be M4 hope this helps
Thanks - my thoughts are leaning in the M4 direction for the reason you bring up.
Good point on the grivory material. I was curious about that too and hadn't heard of it before.

Appreciate your help.

I own both. For me, you get what you pay for. The 3v version is great for the money. Same goes for the m4 version. It really depends on what you want and need.

I use the 3v for work, landscaping. The steel is better suited for the dirty sometimes wet environment I work in. I need the toughness and 3v is semi stainless. I did order aluminum scales ( waiting for delivery) for the 3v though. The grivory scales are way better than people say but they are still plastic. But make the knife super lite weight.

I own both. For me, you get what you pay for. The 3v version is great for the money. Same goes for the m4 version. It really depends on what you want and need.

I use the 3v for work, landscaping. The steel is better suited for the dirty sometimes wet environment I work in. I need the toughness and 3v is semi stainless. I did order aluminum scales ( waiting for delivery) for the 3v though. The grivory scales are way better than people say but they are still plastic. But make the knife super lite weight.
Thanks for the insight. Makes sense. Curious, if you don't mind me asking, what does a set of aluminum scales go for?
My main attraction to the Bailout is the weight, and so far, it's been tough to find anything similar with the same specs.

Thanks for the insight. Makes sense. Curious, if you don't mind me asking, what does a set of aluminum scales go for?
My main attraction to the Bailout is the weight, and so far, it's been tough to find anything similar with the same specs.
$75 plus shipping from applied weapons tech.

It does work out cheaper going the m4 route if that knife will work for you.

Just to add to the opinions... I have an aluminium & M4 Bailout. It is a really nice, lightweight carry with a blade that will step up and perform well... even over it's head, from time to time. I do notice the weight difference between the Alum & the grivory versions, but it's not a bother.

Here's the thing, though... aluminium, like other metal scales, will "ding" if it gets dropped, hit, or scraped just right. Done it. That's personal experience talkin'. For some, like me, this doesn't matter. It just makes the knife "my knife". Other folks can't stand the scars. Grivory, like Noryl and Spyderco's FRN, is extremely tough, flexible, and resilient.

I used to work in a warehouse riding a man-up cherry picker. I've dropped a Spyderco Delica from 15-20 feet in the air onto a concrete warehouse floor more than once. Know what happened to it? The blade popped out a 1/2 inch or so. Nothing else. I picked it up, brushed the dust from the floor off of it, closed it, and went on. There was no evidence on the knife that it had been dropped. These "plastics" that so many folks don't like are like kevlar for the knife frame and blade. In my experience, they absorb impacts better than hard and rigid materials like metal or G10.

So... just something else to consider before you make a choice for a daily carry, "whatever / whenever / wherever" kind of knife.

So... just something else to consider before you make a choice for a daily carry, "whatever / whenever / wherever" kind of knife.

I watched a YouTube review yesterday of the Bailout, and the guy mentioned the difference between the two handle materials. He said how the aluminum was rigid and not "flexible" like grivory.
You offer a good perspective that wasn't part of my thought process.
Thank you

Last edited:
Back