Balance Pictures and Review

I picked this little jewel up from 7/09 DOTD. It came to me fairly sharp, but after a few swipes it became a little (or big if you consider a 13" knife big...:rolleyes: ) razor. The blade has a great shape to it and has an ever so slight fuller to it, which can be felt.

It's fairly good at cutting small pieces of wood (under 3" logs). It bites deep and is very fast and elegant. I found that it was biting about 3/4 an inch into the pieces of wood that I was chopping (not sure of the type of wood, but it was fresh). Its so light that even with prolonged use you wont be tired since its low weight. The little balance can also baton these same logs with ease (surprised me how well it can baton), it goes through them in one swing.

The balance lives up to its name, it feels very light in the hand and it balances right on its edge. The weight to blade ratio of an ounce per inch is great for this little knife, as it gives you a decent reach while keeping the weight down and it still chops fantastic for its size.

The knife was made by Kumar, and with this and my 18in CAK I can see that he really knows his stuff (not a surprise since he works for HI). This blade is a great example of his work.

Blade length - 8 3/4"
Handle length - 4 3/4" including bolster
Overall length - 13 1/2"
Weight - 13 oz
Thickness - 5/16"
Point of Balance - 2" from bolster
Kami - Kumar

Thanks you Yangdu for another winner.

DSCF0612b.jpg

DSCF0624b.jpg

DSCF0614b.jpg

DSCF0618b.jpg

DSCF0620b.jpg

DSCF0626b.jpg

DSCF0630b.jpg

Nice pictures, Skyler. The little Balance is as small as I'll go while hiking in Cougar country. And will actually chew into wood.

munk

Thanks Munk. I was a little surprised that it bits so well in wood and its balance. (no pun intended)

Most the other khuks of that size flail away at the logs. The little Balance, with that wasp waist and pronounced weight forward, actually chews into wood. During one of the khuk Klinics for Kids at the munk compound, I had an opportunity to see different blade types and sizes working alongside each other. I'd drug a felled tree to the yard, seated each kid on the grass in front of the log and put a khukuri in his hand. When the hour is up, and it's time to go, the kids stand back and you can see all the beaver work done; patches of wood gone from the log. It's a lot of fun, for the KIDS too.
The small Balance always leaves a no nonsense effort. Give it enough time, and it would actually cut it in half.

munk

Nice pictures and review, thank you Skyler

Nice pictures and review, thank you Skyler

Thanks for the kind words Yangdu and Steve.

I hope to be able to do more reviews, however I would like to make them longer and more percise so that if my pictures disapear in the future the text will still be able to say quite a bit.

I've got one of Kumar's 13" Balances too. I can't say enough about the functionality of the tool, or the quality of Kumar's work.

No disrespect to any other Kamis, but Kumar is my favourite.

Back