Balisong history

Hey guys and gals, take a look at this Benchmade site , at the very bottom of the page. Let me point it out for ya:
BALI-SONG®
As much an art form as it is the ultimate example of form following function. The balisong or butterfly knife is of Filipino ancestry dating back to nearly 800 A.D. It's basic form consists of a pin-hinged, two piece handle which when closed encases the blade for carry. And when opened, come together to form the knife handle for blade use. This can all be accomplished with a single hand making the tool that much more utility capable. Benchmade is recognized as the leader when it comes to making Bali-Song® knives.
Note the text in red and bold. 800 a.d.?! (That's 800 after Jesus' birth, right?) Am I missing something, is BM lying, or do they know something we don't?

Well, to suggest that the balisong as we know it today dates back to 800AD is probably a misinterpretation of this text. But, it is quite possible that the rudiments of knife making do date back that far in the Philippines.

The pivot joints on a balisong are a form of hinge. Particuarly, they are a pin hinge. My current research on the subject indicates that pin hinges developed around 1500 AD. I've also been told by one respectible historian that the Filipinos did not have pin hinges prior to the arrival of the Spanish.

It's legendary... like when people tells you that Taekwondo dates from the Silla dynasty (it has been created in the 50s with a strong Japanese influence!) or that Boddhidharma invented the Wushu practised today in China (there have been "cuts" during the History and things have totally changed)...

BM don't know something we don't (I think we, at least Chuck ;), would know if a balisong dating from 800AD (or a drawing) had been found). BM don't lie (in the negative sense of the term), they just propagate a rumor/legend that is nice to write for marketing, for people who knows nothing about this knife before coming to their webpage.

As Chuck already said in this forum, the oldest "balisong-concept" knives he has found date from the XIXth century and are European. In my book (and my site), I show a XVIIIth century French balisong which is exposed in a museum here in France. But the balisong, both the word and the real development of this knife is Filipino. Definitely. We just lack proofs for the dates of the first Filipino balis. Was it before the European models (I have a doubt, but maybe...)? Was it after? Was it linked?

Guillaume

REEDIT: Chuck, we were writing a reply at the same time...

Back