1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ballscrew query

Discussion in 'Stoner CNC' started by hans somer, Aug 2, 2018.

1. hans somer

hans somer

Aug 2, 2018
    hello folks!

I had a new ballscrew installed in my machine two years ago and although it is positioning OK it is starting to make a noise again. How long should a ballscrew last in a turning center? should i avail ballscrew repair service for this type of problem?

2. Stoney83

Stoney83 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 12, 2016
    Sorry for the delayed response. I check this website every few weeks.

It really depends on the quality of the machine I would expect any industrial machine to last 10,000 hours or more. On the Mills its usually the Z-Axis that goes first while the X and Y will continue on. I don't have experience with hobby level machines but would expect much lower life expectancy.

Personally I would check the simple things first... That's its getting proper lubrication and that a bunch of debris that hasn't gotten under the way covers. A few years ago one of my machines was sounding a little louder on the Z travel... Turns out it there was a problem with the automatic lubrication. We fixed that and the machine has been running for 3-4 years with no problems.

For the complicated stuff like ball screw alignment, trucks tension, ect.... I would get a professional. If your not running 24/7 and haven't crashed the machine.... something else is wrong with the drive line.

Out of curiosity what is the make and model of lathe?