ballscrew query

hello folks!

I had a new ballscrew installed in my machine two years ago and although it is positioning OK it is starting to make a noise again. How long should a ballscrew last in a turning center? should i avail ballscrew repair service for this type of problem?

Sorry for the delayed response. I check this website every few weeks.

It really depends on the quality of the machine I would expect any industrial machine to last 10,000 hours or more. On the Mills its usually the Z-Axis that goes first while the X and Y will continue on. I don't have experience with hobby level machines but would expect much lower life expectancy.

Personally I would check the simple things first... That's its getting proper lubrication and that a bunch of debris that hasn't gotten under the way covers. A few years ago one of my machines was sounding a little louder on the Z travel... Turns out it there was a problem with the automatic lubrication. We fixed that and the machine has been running for 3-4 years with no problems.

For the complicated stuff like ball screw alignment, trucks tension, ect.... I would get a professional. If your not running 24/7 and haven't crashed the machine.... something else is wrong with the drive line.

Out of curiosity what is the make and model of lathe?

Reactions: BBW
Back