• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bananna Parer!!

Here is a nice little parer pattern that a customer requested awhile back, it turned out to be such a nice little knife that I kept the pattern we came up with and have been making them ever since. not only does it work nicely as a parer, but with the curve, it does pretty good on a board for light tasks also.

OAL- 7 1/8"

blade- 3 1/8" long tip to scales, .051" thick at the spine, .024" measured 1/4" behind the edge, and .007" thick at the shoulder of the edge. 3/4" wide

steel- 1095 high carbon, differentially hardened. heat treat includes a double normalize, double anneal, triple edge quench and triple temper for a really nice performing blade that takes and holds a great edge and yet is easy to resharpen!

grind- a full flat grind, sharpened on a DMT 325 diamond hone with micro bevels, to an aggressive razor edge

finish- handsanded 400 grit finish

handle- Cocobolo with peened brass pins. handle is finished with 200 grit with the lines running lengthwise with the handle so it looks good yet isn't slick

weight - 1.60 ounces

SOLD!!!!! $90 plus $5 for shipping/insurance to CONUS. I can accept paypal Joe357m@bresnan.net or money order. This one is also on my website, and can be purchased there also at www.caltoncutlery.com

SOLD!!!! 1st to post "I'll take it" gets it!!! there are also more parers on my website at www.caltoncutlery.com under the kitchen knives section!

413998224.jpg

if you would like a similar one to this, or an entirely different one, feel free to drop me a line!

Last edited:
Looks like an especially useful little kitchen knife. :thumbsup: Does the name refer to its shape or to one of its intended purposes?
Never thought about "paring" a banana. o_O This question coming from a woodworker, not a chef. ;)

Ray

Ray,

that was what the fella that ordered the first one called it, and im not all that great at coming up with fancy names, so I went with it :} I believe it was more to describe the profile of the blade

it does work really well for folks who like to use a parer for as much as they can. as that belly allows you to use more of the edge on a cutting board if you don't want to pull out a chefs knife.

Nice - I went to your web site too. The CHISEL PARER looks like a very functional worker too. Will bookmark for now.
Have already gone over knife budget this month :rolleyes:

I'll be back. :thumbsup:

Ray

Last edited:
Joe,

I think I will take this one. PayPal in route shortly.

Thanks.

GTS,

Thanks!! I received your paypal, and will get it to the post office here in a bit, so you should see it in a couple days.

Enjoy!!

I had to wait for my wife to go on a business trip to get to use the knife (she loves it). Great little kitchen knife.

I thought you might say that. I wonder if I could get my wife to part with her 100 year old worn to a knub little sticker of a knife in favor of this one. :rolleyes: She knows what she likes and I have most often failed at this particular objective of a new favorite kitchen knife.

Will need to try nonetheless, in the near future. :)

Ray

gts, good to hear that she is enjoying it and that you are getting some use with it also :}

raysem, I would proceed with caution with your wifes beloved kitchen knife. oftentimes, what someone else sees in a kitchen knife is not what we might see. she may love that knife for the history that she has with it. it may be the knife she used to cook that special meal 10 years ago and everytime she picks it up, she thinks of that special moment.

awhile back, I had a fella try to replace his wifes beloved kitchen knife, and in the end, he had me refurbish her old one with a new handle and clean up the edge while leaving the blade mostly untouched and adding one of my knives "in addition" to her old one. once she realized he was just trying to make her happy, and not after her to totally retire her old knife, she accepted the new knife and is starting to build memories with it, while still using her old one and enjoying the new handle.

Back