Bark River Bravo 1 LT Factory Edge Question

Is this a good edge?

• Total voters
I recently got a Becker bk7 for a really good price recently. Had a gift card, discount code, etc, so I pulled the trigger. My bk2 and Bk10 have been perfect out of the box. My 7 has a recurved edge. I was slightly disappointed, but for what I paid it's not bad and I can fix it. Already have done a little work and made it much better, so a little more work and it will be golden. Plus, it's a beefy hard use fixed blade, it doesn't have to be pretty, and it was stupid sharp like my other Beckers.

For a $300 knife? It would be going back.

It's a Bark River, $120 knife with a $300 price made out "who knows what steel". Get a refund and buy something from an honorable firm with consistent high quality.

People love to jump on Bark River for every little thing. They are hand ground blades, yes there are a few that are not perfect. I would agree that the slight recurve on this one would bug me enough to send it back. Buy from the main retailers and send it back if you don't like it, the retailers or the company themselves will make it right. The last two that I have received have been flawless. On the hand, my other knives from another highly regarded manufacture (supposedly the toughest in the world) have been unevenly ground. Once again, they are hand ground in big lots and the occasional lemon is going to pop up sometimes, just as it does with any other large semi-custom operation.

Last edited:
Here’s an update on my case. The return went smoothly and I received my replacement a few days ago. It took a while because of 5 (or 7?) days of quarantine for returned packages. Overall, I had a pretty positive experience with DLT Trading and definitely can recommend buying from them.
Now, about the replacement. They did not have a direct replacement, so I ended up ordering a bit longer Bravo 1.25 LT in CPM S45VN, the same limited edition. As for now, I can say that I’m pretty happy with it. Compared to a previous piece, its grind is almost perfectly even, the edge is leveled, and it’s hair-popping sharp! Zero convex with no signs of the micro-bevel (as far as I can see without a microscope). It has some tiny and truly cosmetic blemishes here and there but totally acceptable for my taste. And no bark river sticker in the box this time . Handle ergonomics is really good and despite me having small hands (between S/M) I prefer it over a smaller gunny handle. The blade length is a bit longer than bravo 1 and bravo 1.5 and this is the golden middle in my opinion. The CPM S45VN is quite new stainless steel (supposedly a marginal improvement over VN35V). I have not used it for really tough work yet, but I hope the heat treatment and quality are ok despite it being new on the market. It is stainless, and considering the G10 handle, I should not worry about this knife in any condition including saltwater. The sheath is ok.
And some of my thoughts about Bark River as a company and about their knives. Yes, I read and heard all these stories about mislabeled steel, uneven grinds, micro bevels, baked edges, poor heat treatment, Mike Stewart’s personality, etc., and was aware of risks. But there are also plenty of positive reviews. I want to believe that mislabeled steel was an unintentional mistake, it happened quite a few years ago and hopefully, they learned something from it. The owner’s personality doesn’t bother me too much as long as his product is good. But I have to admire that in a short period of time he was able to build a knife company which is one of the most recognizable in the US and quite famous abroad. Convex grind isn’t the easiest to do and it has to be done completely by hand so I understand that quality may vary. I don’t have illusions about “made in the USA” and I’m pretty sure that grinders from Taiwan or Japan are generally more skilled than not very high-paid country folks from bark river (no offense guys ). At the same time, I feel much more connected to the knife if I know the exact address where it was made and when I see all these youtube videos from the factory with the whole process shown (btw. they definitely have issues with workplace safety). Maybe these knives a bit overpriced but as long as it sells - it sells. And resale value, according to eBay, holds very well.
In my experience, before, I only had a chance to use a borrowed bark river gunny in A2 steel for a few heavy tasks and was pleasantly surprised with its toughness and edge holding (but it rusted/stain easily though).
So, to conclude, I am not planning on becoming a big BR fan and buying more stuff from them any time soon. But I’m happy with my current Bravo 1.25 LT and I hope it will serve me well for a long time.
Thanks.

My Gunny has that same "recurve" and I believe that is part of the design, its very slight and will give you no issues when sharpening on sand paper and strops. I know BRKT has a mixed reputation for sure. The Gunny is one of my favorite fixed blades i've ever owned (over 10 years give or take). I've let a lot of fixed blades come and go but that one is so dang awesome that It will definitely be a lifetime keeper. Pass on to my son type of knife.

The factory edge would be more upsetting to me (easy fix) but not what you want to do to a brand new $300 knife. Someone will probably correct me but I'm almost certain the "recurve" is part of the design.

Yeah, I would have been happy with that first one. It was beautiful. I'm glad you got taken care of. It pays to deal with good retailers like DLT. If you can let us know how you like the S45Vn. It's a fairly new steel and there aren't too many reviews on it yet especially in knives like that. I've only seen reviews on folders and not all that many of those with that new steel.

Yeah, I would have been happy with that first one. It was beautiful. I'm glad you got taken care of. It pays to deal with good retailers like DLT. If you can let us know how you like the S45Vn. It's a fairly new steel and there aren't too many reviews on it yet especially in knives like that. I've only seen reviews on folders and not all that many of those with that new steel.
A little update on S45VN after about a month of almost everyday use. I didn't do any kind of hardcore testing for purpose of testing, just normal use. During this time it served me as my main (chef) kitchen knife and for regular household tasks like cutting cardboard and packages etc. I also went overnight camping and had a couple of picnics in the woods where I performed regular bushcraft stuff such as carving and batoning. So far, so good. I did get some tiny edge imperfections which I couldn't really see but felt on cutting thin newspaper. But after some stropping (no sharpening) still razor-sharp. I don't have too many similar fixed blades to compare to, but subjectively it seems to perform no worse than A2 on BR Gunny, and edge retention with similar tasks is a bit better than on my Fallkniven F1 (Laminated VG10) and Mora Companion HD (budget carbon steel and scandy grind). Cannot say much about toughness as I didn't abuse it but batoning is no issue for this knife. Stainless as expected.
And here is a fresh video on s45vn BR from our man Virtuovice

Back