1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Bark River Bravo necker VS RAT Izula

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Loonatic, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Loonatic

Loonatic

Jan 5, 2007
    Ok the debate is ON :D

Your opinions and thoughts on the Bark River Bravo Necker and the RAT Izula.

I'm thinking about purchasing a neck carry and theses are my prime candidates any opinions is welcomes or other suggestions.

Also which one as the better sheath ? Since I'm quite active and moving around and worried about the blade slipping off. :eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your time :)

2. HikingMano

HikingMano

Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  3. hoopster

hoopster

Jan 12, 2007
    The Izula sheath has slightly better retention, the BR necker sheath is pretty poor IMO but does work. Both knives benefit from custom sheaths IMO.
    Izula is a stouter knife, feels better to me with a cord wrap and is a lot cheaper. It also has about 1/8" longer blade.

The Bravo necker has a better grind (convex) and is thinner so slices much better. Also stainless if that matters to you. It feels way better with handle scales on although mine required some sanding to eliminate harsh corners.

Of course the handles make both knives heavier which may be a factor if you neck carry.

If money is not a concern, to me the Bravo necker is a better knife with the handles. If you want bang for your buck, the Izula with a cord wrap is great as well.

I have both and plan on keeping both but will keep multiple Izulas and probably just the one Bravo necker.

If I think of anything else to add I'll be sure to comment.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  4. mdauben

mdauben

Oct 24, 2005
    Personally, I would rate them starting with the best as BRKT, ESEE and Ka-Bar, which coincidentally coresponds with their prices from highest to lowest. In other words, I think each of them is well worth the cost, but if money is not a deciding factor I would go with the Barkie.

I'd have to say, the IZULA sheath is probably the best. The Barkie is secure enough (no knife falling out!) but not as nicely designed as the ESEE.

5. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    There's no way an Izula is accidentally slipping out of that sheath. I filed down the bumps on the inside that lock it in place to maybe 1/2-1/3rd of its factory height (because I disliked how much effort it took to get it out), and I'm still 100% confident in it.

6. The Government

The Government

Aug 21, 2009
    Like others have said the BRKT has a better grind and full handles. When paid for the Izula is a lot cheaper including handles.

For either of the sheaths, if retention was a primary concern, you can always improvise a retention strap with paracord and a cord-lock.

[​IMG]

7. BryFry

BryFry

Jul 29, 2009
    -Pretty much what hoopster said :thumbup:

[​IMG]

I'll add that I like that the barkies sheath will hold a firesteel, and I like the smooth uncoated cutting surface on the barkie. -But then with a little work you can clean up the blade on an Izula too....

[​IMG]

...but then rust may become more of an issue, if your not carefull.

Both good knives though!

8. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Here's the Bark River Gallery thread for their Necker. At the bottom of the page there are comparison shots of the Necker and some of the smaller Bark River knives.

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/865460/

I think I'd go with the Izula for a handless knife cuz I love the round cut out on the end of the handle. My preference would be to buy one of the small Bark Rivers that have attached handles rather than the Necker and it's add on handles. The Bumble Bee looks pretty sweet. YMMV ;)

Disclaimer: I don't own either, but I'm in the market.

9. BigWhiteFord

BigWhiteFord

Aug 17, 2008
    The Bravo Necker is a fantastic knife, but I must admit I only like mine with the handles attached. I dislike the look of the Izula's optional handle, I don't think I'd like having a half-length handle. I also had to radius the corners of the handle scales and the butt of the tang on my Necker to make it comfortable.

As mentioned above, take a look at a few other Barkie's that fall into a similar price range (when you add up the necker and scales). The Little Creek has now replaced my Neckers for pocket carry, and I am contemplating making a neck sheath for it too.

The Necker has a perfect grind and blade thickness for it's size, and is a great intro to the highly addictive Bark River line of knives...:)

10. stoffi

stoffi

Jan 14, 2008
    I've got both. Get both. They are very similar, but have different fundamentals, like convex vs. v-grind. I prefer convex over v-grind, but the handle on the Barkie has some sharp corners, which I had to sand down. The Izula 20° edge was too dull IMO, so I took it to 15° and now it's a much better cutter. I'd love to get another Izula and just full convex it, because the handle design + the hole makes it a winner. The Necker is really nice too though, so get both.

11. dinozzo

dinozzo

Oct 31, 2009
    One reason i got my izula was because of the awesome ESEE warranty! it basically says if you break it, you get a new one, no matter what! i dont know about the BRKT warranty but the ESEE one is awesome!

12. okbohn

okbohn Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

May 26, 2006
    As to the sheath issue on the Bark River. The sheath was made to work with or without handles. It is a little looser than I would like, but I haven't had any issues with retention.

As to the knives...

IMO, if you want one with handles, there is no comparison. I would go with the Bark River.

If you want one without handles, there is no comparison. I would go with the Izula.

The Izula is more comfortable without handles because it is a little thicker and so it feels more substantial without the scales. I don't think it is heavier duty in actuality because they are both plenty tough.

I prefer the convex grind and no coating, but that is easy enough to fix with a little work.

:)

13. hoopster

hoopster

Jan 12, 2007
    That sums it up nice and simply Derrick. :thumbup:

I would also like to add that for neck carry I think the Bravo necker is better than some of the other small BRKT knives due to the skeletonized tang and thickness. I also like the tiny choil as opposed to some of the other knives like the micro canadian or Imp.

14. Bierkameel

Bierkameel

Apr 2, 2009
    [​IMG]
    I sold my Izula after I got the Barkie, it's a great knife.

15. anotherbrother

anotherbrother

Feb 11, 2010
    Not looking to specifically reduce revenue to this excellent site, but you can use google to search a site as follows...

if searching for Izula for example... type in google main search page

Izula site:www.bladeforums.com

It is still a bit of a pain to use, so I can see people paying for membership, given that the more they use/explore the site, the more likely they are to make that next step...

16. boness

boness

Oct 26, 2003
    The Bark River Bravo Necker knife looks like the perfect size for me

17. HikingMano

HikingMano

Sep 2, 2008
    Yes, you can :thumbup: But you can't do customized searches (search only in thread titles, search for threads/posts by specific members, search certain subforums only, etc).

There is a sticky in Service & Support with tips, Spark even set-up a customized google search page just for Bladeforums :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  18. Loonatic

Loonatic

Jan 5, 2007
    First of all thanks for all the info guys,

I can now say that i will be the proud owner of a Izula in a near future :D
    Can barely wait until it come in.

rksoon: No worries :)

anotherbrother: I took good note of that Google search thanks

hoopster&okbohn: thanks for the info on the retention of the sheath.

The Gov: I really like the improvise retention strap i'll use that.

19. hoopster

hoopster

Jan 12, 2007
    I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Izula. It will just be a matter of finding out what makes the grip usable for you and what carry method works best for you.

20. Loonatic

Loonatic

Jan 5, 2007
    Just received it =) here a pic of the new Izula, and my new Fenix LD 10

[​IMG]