Bark River Knife and Tool Bushcrafter - Review

TF,

Thanks for your answers.
I am of the opinion that much time is spent reviewing the actual blade of a knife
But Nimble, neutral and balance is what make the knife comfortable to use

You have also added how the knife fills the hand, which is as an important factor in evaluating the comfort of a knife.

I shall be reviewing a new knife, and you have created definitions to be included in a comprehensive review

Thanks

I am not sure if my words are any sort of standard words. I am not a knife maker - so I use words that make sense to me.

TF

Thanks for the review.
I recently acquired a Liten Bror in a trade...I thought it was going to be the bees knees, but my large hands envelope the handle. So now I am back to the drawing board looking for an outdoor knife with larger handles.
Keep up the great work (and showing off your amazing knife collection).

Readyme.

If you like the liten bror - but think it is a bit small - keep your eyes out for a Knife Forums Hiking and Camping knife. It was based on the Aurora handle - but it has a high sabre grind convex with a 4 inch blade. I liked that knife - but had ones I liked better - so I sold it.

If you are looking for a Scandivex - the handle on the Bushcrafter will be MUCH more to your liking.

Where do you live - if you are close - you are more than welcome to come and test out my steel.

TF

You found one! GREAT review TF! I also like the dimples towards the front of the scales, makes a choked up grip nice and comfy. I think the barrel shaped rear also aids in rolling the knife from one position to the other. Wish I would have opted for the forest sheath rather than the bushcraft model. One day I'll have to make her a new one.

DD

*bump*

Thanks for a great review of this impressive knife, Talfuchre. Now that you've had it for a while, any follow-up opinions that you would add to the above?

I recently bought one, and while I haven't had a chance to put it fully through its paces yet, I was immediately very impressed with the ergonomics of this knife, right out of the box. I know this is always a somewhat subjective thing, but I found that it just "fit" really well in pretty much every practical grip style I use. I have medium-sized hands, and the Bushcrafter grip feels perfect - not too big and not too small. I actually really like the palm swell and taper it has toward the front of the grip as well.

As far as the blade type, as I said, I haven't used it much yet, but despite not being a spear point, the blade point is still just very slightly off of the center line of the knife. Plus, as you point out, the grind is steepens toward the point for added strength, so I'm really not concerned about its capability for drilling tasks (particularly when combined with super tough, 3V steel).

One of the reasons, in fact that I chose this particular knife over several other bushcraft designs, is precisely because of the sloping drop point. I feel that this is an excellent hybrid of a blade that retains the "point on" drilling ability of a spear point, with more capability for dealing with game than a spear point does. As you said, the knife doesn't have a great deal of belly, but it certainly has more than a spear point. Personally, I believe a good bushcraft/survival knife needs to not only be a capable woodworker, it needs to also be a capable game knife. Both are important tasks of a well-rounded bush knife, imo.

All in all, I'm extremely impressed withe the design, ergonomics, and steel choice for this knife. It may not be your "classic" bushcrafter, but I think there are shortcomings to that design as well, and that the BRKT interpretation actually improves on some of that. It will get hard use this fall, and I'm looking forward to more follow up. But like I said - I would be curious to see if you have anything more to add since you posted this.

Last edited:
:thumbup:Excellent review! I have one that Bark River converted to a full convex grind. Wow, what a knife! I've had many Bark River knives. Most I got rid of because the handles too short for real use. However, I LOVE this knife!

Back