Review Bark River Knives Teddy II

lonestar,
My bravo 1 is ground thin (full height grind) and is excellent. Really holds an edge and can take a beating. The Teddy II is just not performing well. I hope whatever they choose as a fox works.

Ok, hadn't heard anything from Bark River so I called the warranty department and spoke to the young lady I had been e-mailing with since I started the process. She told me that she was sorry for no updates and would get it done or replaced and on its way back to me either by later today or Monday. I thought that was very encouraging!!! I'll keep ya'll posted if it actually gets mailed out.

Ok, so Anna e-mailed me and said that she will definitely have it mailed back to me this week (soooo minor change in time frame) and will provide me with a tracking number. Updates to follow.

Well I finally got notice my knife is getting shipped back to me. No clue if it was repaired or replaced just got a tracking notice in email. If it makes it here before I ship out then I’ll let you know what’s up. Otherwise, I’ll update y’all when I get back from the field.

Well I finally got notice my knife is getting shipped back to me. No clue if it was repaired or replaced just got a tracking notice in email. If it makes it here before I ship out then I’ll let you know what’s up. Otherwise, I’ll update y’all when I get back from the field.

Did they tell you what the problem was with the original knife?

Well, they stated that the edge was too thin from the factory so they just did a re-grind (convexed). It slightly changed the blade shape and aesthetics because it is more straight in the belly of the blade now, but I’m ok with it if it actually works. I will be able to get it out and test it again soon hopefully. I think they did good. These are a couple quick pics I took before leaving.

AD4577_C2_9_BCF_480_A_8587_B4_BA46872077.jpg

8_A6133_B2_3152_49_A1_ADE8_AE23201_C85_D0.jpg

I'm surprised that it wasn't replaced. Please keep us updated on the results of the regrind.The Teddy is my favorite Bark River designs.

Yes, I was surprised too. They did do a very good job on working it over. We shall see how it performs in the next couple of weeks. If it doesn’t do well, I will be requesting a replacement and then selling the replacement when it comes. Once I lose faith, I move on and don’t look back.

Ok, did some chopping of seasoned hardwood and the edge did excellent. Didn’t have my phone on me when chopping. Sharpened it up to my standards (wanted to test factory edge before doing my own sharpening) and it is good to go!

6_C3_AB56_E_9_B90_46_AC_A460_67_E91601_A278.jpg

EC2694_AE_8_C92_49_DB_92_CB_F214418429_F5.jpg

372_FF129_BB23_4179_B44_B_324_C9_B797_A97.jpg

Been giving the Teddy a good work out lately. Took some pics today.

Decided to get out for some chopping and camp chore fun:
AC36_A4_AD_485_D_42_FD_A89_A_B1_A438_E29154.jpg

Had some good crayfish:
6_A605_C19_85_CF_412_F_920_B_511348_C50_DEC.jpg

Did a lot of chopping of limbs on a downed tree and it did perfect. Edge held magnificently:
8_B0522_BC_40_C1_42_DE_8_BDD_54_AA130_FD948.jpg

15_F25644_D098_436_D_96_A1_980316_E5_CB7_C.jpg

FC25_BB84_0851_4492_99_EB_44630_CCCB309.jpg

That's what I'm thinking as well. It's a whole different animal now and I am very pleased with the blade.

That is a beautiful knife. I have wanted that Teddy 2 for a while and would choose the same grip material. The refinish grind and buff looks first class. I have heard a few others have too thin grinds like yours did. Mistakes are human . It's important how they deal with them when they have situations like yours.

Joe

Mastiff,
Yes they did very well with the regrind. Micarta was the only choice in my mind since it was a hidden tang. I like the extra strength of micarta.

Jordan@DLT,
Thank you. I use all of my knives and often. I actually bought this TeddyII from ya'll at DLT. I appreciated the mil discount that you and bark river offer together.

That shouldnt happen in first place on a knife of that price and reputation like Bark River has.Many people had same or similar problems,some of their knives are excellent if you get one with good grind and heat treatment.I think theres better choices for same price, but thats just my opinion.The bowie I have from them is excellent performer.Still I think their "convex" grind thing is overrated,as Iprefer full flat ,high hollow or really slight convex.

I agree brother. Should have never happened in the first place, but they did fine by me with the fix.

Grinds on mine were uneven when I got it and had to fix it myself.On one side it looked like some amateur ground it.Other side was good.Fixed it on belt sander.For that price this should not happen,period!!!Good knives but overpriced,some are good and some shouldnt be sold like that.Too many fanboys at least on couple other forums,here they get mixed reviews.

Back