BASIC-11Y SATIN underneath

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by JACKMANDU, Aug 31, 2019.

1. JACKMANDU

JACKMANDU Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2019
    I recently picked up this Basic 11 on the exchange. I decided to strip it. This thing was basically satin finish underneath the tanker grey coating. I just thought I would share. For those of you who have a B11 that may want to strip it, go for it! 95794F47-1FEE-4A64-A552-75D9C2415C0A.jpeg B7916F46-ED12-4163-8D3E-EF2E3D361BBF.jpeg 0F43C112-74ED-41B5-874A-DD28AABA407E.jpeg
    I must say the B11 feels great! I will be doing some chopping with it this weekend. I think it’s going to do very well.

gorshi, duramax, Leonardo63 and 6 others like this.
  2. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    Same with me! I had a tanker grey B11 and stripped it. Looked like this underneath:

[​IMG]

gorshi, Will York, JACKMANDU and 2 others like this.
  3. JACKMANDU

Feb 10, 2019
    Looks good man! I’m really liking this B11:thumbsup:

Currawong likes this.
  4. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    The B11 is a GREAT knife, and was used by Dave Canterbury and Cody Lundin in their "Hippo Island" segment of Dual Survivor.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

duramax and Will York like this.
  5. Will York

Will York Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Absolutely! One of the truly great all-rounders—right at the sweet spot in size/weight for big-blade performance that’s easy to carry. It will do machete duty plus batonning, which a saw can’t do, and has lateral strength (1/4” thick) for prying/digging that a machete can’t match. Chops through thick stuff (3-5”+ dia) impressively well for its size and weight (~17 oz), and not too heavy/awkward for general knife use around camp or on the trail. Just a joy to have in hand for so many tasks, light as a feather on your belt—plus, it’s INFI!:thumbsup::cool:

duramax likes this.
  6. Private Klink

May 30, 2017
    That's why I keep one in each vehicle.;):thumbsup:

Will York likes this.
  7. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    Where do you live?;)

8. JACKMANDU

Feb 10, 2019
    4F9DF4C0-2AA4-4EC3-8CDF-321EB636E063.jpeg F09034D5-86F1-4406-833A-EE0FAE3B36FD.jpeg 85BCCD69-B47E-44F5-BFFE-0C75D97A9EFC.jpeg

gorshi, luethge and Will York like this.
  9. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    ^^^ Good to see a B11 in it's natural habitat :thumbsup:

Will York and JACKMANDU like this.
  10. Private Klink

May 30, 2017
    Yes it is.:thumbsup:

11. Apocryphiliac

Apocryphiliac Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Same experience here with the B11. Just one of those things, huh?

12. gorshi

gorshi

Jan 9, 2006
    Very nice pics guys. Thanks for sharing. I’ll have to try to strip mine too. :thumbsup:

JACKMANDU likes this.
  13. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie

Sep 20, 2016
    The coating on mine is very durable and it doesnt rub off even from relatively heavy chopping. I love the way chop worn coated blades look so I wont be stripping, but I must admit I wish the coating wore off from use a bit more, so as to look like the proper user it is :D

14. JACKMANDU

Feb 10, 2019
    I have a B7 that I stripped yesterday, The coating was on there real good. I almost regretted removing it at first. I think it would have held up very well with use. The finish on the B7 is like a BIG satin under the coating. I had to re-dip it in the stripper 3 Times to get it all off. The B11 coating nearly fell off after removing it from the strip. I do like the worn coating look. The only problem I have had is it’s much harder to clean. After I got home from my chopping hike with the B11. I washed the blade with soap and hot water, it came clean with very little effort. I believe this is a big advantage to stripping INFI. Plus I love the look:cool:

15. Azula Gun Holsters

Azula Gun Holsters KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 19, 2016
    One of my all time favorites.
    Stripped and ready to go
    [​IMG]

JACKMANDU and Currawong like this.
  16. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    Thank you for the tip and photos! :cool::thumbsup:
    Did you do anything like sanding or buffing to improve the finish after stripping it?

17. JACKMANDU

Feb 10, 2019
    The second pic was after the strip. The 3rd pic was after using a dremel with the abrasive finishing buffs. I did course, medium, then fine. It was very easy for such a large blade. Each side of the blade used up one of each grit.