BASIC-11Y SATIN underneath

JACKMANDU

Gold Member
Platinum Member
I recently picked up this Basic 11 on the exchange. I decided to strip it. This thing was basically satin finish underneath the tanker grey coating. I just thought I would share. For those of you who have a B11 that may want to strip it, go for it!View attachment 1188322 View attachment 1188324 View attachment 1188323
I must say the B11 feels great! I will be doing some chopping with it this weekend. I think it’s going to do very well.

Same with me! I had a tanker grey B11 and stripped it. Looked like this underneath:

Screen-Shot-2018-08-17-at-9-25-06-am.jpg

The B11 is a GREAT knife, and was used by Dave Canterbury and Cody Lundin in their "Hippo Island" segment of Dual Survivor.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Absolutely! One of the truly great all-rounders—right at the sweet spot in size/weight for big-blade performance that’s easy to carry. It will do machete duty plus batonning, which a saw can’t do, and has lateral strength (1/4” thick) for prying/digging that a machete can’t match. Chops through thick stuff (3-5”+ dia) impressively well for its size and weight (~17 oz), and not too heavy/awkward for general knife use around camp or on the trail. Just a joy to have in hand for so many tasks, light as a feather on your belt—plus, it’s INFI!:thumbsup::cool:

The coating on mine is very durable and it doesnt rub off even from relatively heavy chopping. I love the way chop worn coated blades look so I wont be stripping, but I must admit I wish the coating wore off from use a bit more, so as to look like the proper user it is :D

The coating on mine is very durable and it doesnt rub off even from relatively heavy chopping. I love the way chop worn coated blades look so I wont be stripping, but I must admit I wish the coating wore off from use a bit more, so as to look like the proper user it is :D
I have a B7 that I stripped yesterday, The coating was on there real good. I almost regretted removing it at first. I think it would have held up very well with use. The finish on the B7 is like a BIG satin under the coating. I had to re-dip it in the stripper 3 Times to get it all off. The B11 coating nearly fell off after removing it from the strip. I do like the worn coating look. The only problem I have had is it’s much harder to clean. After I got home from my chopping hike with the B11. I washed the blade with soap and hot water, it came clean with very little effort. I believe this is a big advantage to stripping INFI. Plus I love the look:cool:

I recently picked up this Basic 11 on the exchange. I decided to strip it. This thing was basically satin finish underneath the tanker grey coating. I just thought I would share. For those of you who have a B11 that may want to strip it, go for it! ...
Thank you for the tip and photos! :cool::thumbsup:
Did you do anything like sanding or buffing to improve the finish after stripping it?

Thank you for the tip and photos! :cool::thumbsup:
Did you do anything like sanding or buffing to improve the finish after stripping it?
The second pic was after the strip. The 3rd pic was after using a dremel with the abrasive finishing buffs. I did course, medium, then fine. It was very easy for such a large blade. Each side of the blade used up one of each grit.

Back