Basic #5 or Basic #7?(The Lady or the Tiger?)

I have a Combat basic #3, which I love despite not using it much.Same story with most of my knives!Anyhow, I think I would like either a #5 or #7 for general use and possible "defensive"carry.I want something that has a little more blade than the one I have, but is still fairly easy to carry.I like the kydex sheath that came with my #3. Is that standard now, or is it a special order?I know that Busse has other models, but I want another Basic.Advice?Thanks, James

------------------
AKTI Member #A000934
"Always just ONE knife short of perfection".

IMHO, if you have large hands go with the 7. The 5 is a great knife, but I find the handle to be a tad small.
On the other hand, check out the Satin Jack. It's a bit more $ than a Basic, but it more or less combines the best of both sizes and you can choke up better using the choil for small work. (the Basic choils are too small to permit this
wink.gif
)

I first bought the Lady and fell in love with her. Then I had to get the tiger to do those jobs the Lady shouldn't be asked to do.
biggrin.gif

Get'em both. Seriously.
If you like the Basic 3, your gonna LOVE the other two. Since I got the Basic 7, I don't even bother looking for large fixed blades anymore. What's the use?
I don't think you'll be disappointed with either of these AlaChoctaw. Get'em while the getting is good. These two are absolute "must haves".

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.
Sun Tzu

Here's the deal. The 5 is a no brainer "don't even know you have it" carry knife, the 7, on the other hand, is a much bigger knife. It's a better workhorse, but you know you're lugging something around.

IMO, the 3 and the 5 are in one catagory, while the 7 and 9 are in another; get my drift? Really depends on what you plan to use the knife for. By carefully analyzing your original post, I would go with the 5. Then get the 7 as well because it is a great deal on a great knife.

If you've got the Basic 3 already, I'd vote for getting the Basic 7 as your second knife. I'm assuming you're big enough and have enough frame to carry the 7 defensively without it printing through your clothes.

The reason I advocate the Basic 7 over the Basic 5 is that it is substantially bigger and will handle considerably different tasks than the Basic 3. The Basic 5 is sort of like your Basic 3 on steroids. They are pretty much in the same league (whittlers & cutters), but the Basic 7 is larger enough to be in a different category (choppers & hackers). Which means that adding a Basic 5 to your Basic 3 doesn't buy you a lot of new capability. But adding a Basic 7 or 9 does.

IMHO the Basic 7 is a very fine all-around blade. It is big enough to suffice for chopping, yet still capable of handling finer cutting chores if you choke up on the blade a bit. Tactically, the 7" blade puts it up there with the other general purpose combat knives (Randall, Mad Dog, Rinaldi, TOPS, Livesay, etc). Regarding the Basic 5 tactically, I think it's just a little bit short for the job. Plus, I wouldn't want to show up against a 7-8" blade with a 5" blade in my hand. Your training & tactics would have to compensate for the difference in length & reach of the blade. I say, don't handicap yourself that way if you don't have to.

I'm not sure what sheath comes with the Basic models these days. You could query your Busse dealer or the factory for the scoop on that issue. However, if you don't like the sheath that you get with your Basic, I recommend you consider an after-market sheath from Normark at On-Scene Tactical. His design is really versatile and the workmanship is top-notch. Plus his prices are reasonable and he's a great guy to deal with.

Yours in nuclear Basic appreciation,
Greg

Well, I had decided on the #7, based upon your replies, but when I called Roger at Bayou Lafourche, he had a #9 in stock at a great price.That was yesterday.Now I sit with my #9 in hand!What a great blade! I don't have a real legit use for it, but I'm in love!My #7 will have to come later, when my MasterCard stops smoking. Thanks for all the help! James

------------------
AKTI Member #A000934
"Always just ONE knife short of perfection".

I just got a #9 last month, and I have used it to chop trees. Also, it is an excellent throwing knife! I was amazed at how well it worked for throwing. I almost like to throw my #9 more than my throwing knives, but, because it is considerably larger, it will were you out faster.

Van

------------------
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Proverbs 27:17

Back