Basic blade repair

I recently acquired a couple used Basics (3 and 9) to add to my collection. The problem is that their previous owner overused a strop on them. I don't have a problem getting my other Busses to shaving edges.

The 3 is now double convex with the 'flat' side being about the same as the original convex side, and the convex curve going up to about 1/4 of the blade.

The 9 isn't as bad and I haven't worked on it yet, but the convex portion is about triple the size of the original convex portion.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to repair them to get them back to their original geometry or something close without removing much more material since quite a bit seems to have been removed already!

Thanks,
cj
s002cjs@yahoo.com

If you want to get the blade back to looking like it did before it was thinned out, then you are going to need to remove a fair amount of metal because you will actually need to grind two more obtuse bevels ontop of the existing ones and bring them up the full height of the existing edge grind.

However if you just want something that is of similar functionality then grind the same bevels but don't bring them all the way up. You will now have done something similar to what Joe Talmadge calls a back-bevel, only in the reverse manner.

Your blade will have the same edge geometry as a NIB Busse with the small change that as you move back from the bevel a little it slightly thins out. This will raise the cutting ability by a decent amount and will only functionally reduce durability if you are damaging the edge deeper than the more obtuse bevel, which is unlikely.

-Cliff

Back