Basket weave, I think?

Does any one know how to weave a piece of leather with out cutting it into strips and sealing the ends. I am trying to branch out and make my sheathes a little fancier than a standard pounch which is the way I've been doing them for years. One of my customers showed me his daughters wrist strap and asked if it could be done and inlaid into the front of a sheath to jazz it up.
I don't know if I am using the proper terminology so I will explain as best as I can.
The braided or woven piece of leather is all one piece and looks to have slits cut into it but not all the way to the ends. My idea is to use two pieces of leather for the front of the sheath. The outer most piece would have a window cut into it. I would take the woven piece and slip it in between the two pieces and then stitch them together effectively producing kind of an inlay so to speak. I asked him about stamping this pattern into the leather and he definitely doesn't want that.
I don't think I am using the proper terminology because I couldn't find anything to help me on the web. I am pretty sure I could figure it out over time but that is the problem. I finished the knife last week and when I delivered it to him he approached me with this idea and it's worth more money to me but he needs it by next Monday at the latest because it is a b-day gift. Can anyone help? Please.

DC Knives, thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for. I am looking at the five lace but I was wrong about how long it would have taken me to figure it out. It would have taken me much longer.

Back