Bastard file on BK11?

Will a bastard file work on a bk11 handle? I’m guessing no but thought I’d ask before I try it out and muck up the coating.

I want to round over the butt end of the handle where the cap lifter is to make it a little more comfy. I have a dremel but would rather use hand tools. Maybe sandpaper but that seems like it would take forever. Thanks for any advice.

High-speed abrasives are the right answer to hardened steel. Though a good new file will likely move metal, it will beat up the file in the long run if the butt is as hard as the edge.

The traditional way to make a BK-11 more comfy is to buy a BK-14. ;)

High-speed abrasives are the right answer to hardened steel. Though a good new file will likely move metal, it will beat up the file in the long run if the butt is as hard as the edge.

LOL...yeah but I’m not a fan of the Izula handle. I actually prefer the bk11 handle a little more. It just needs some corners nicked off.

Yeah, a corded belt sander will work. Clamp it upside-down in a vise. Use 60-120x max grit. And get a zirc or ceramic belt. AlOx is pitiful on hardened (or even soft) steel. And make sure the belt is running *away* from you as you use it...

A good sharp file will work fine on anything in the 50’s, I do it all the time. Pressure only on the forward stroke, lift off on return. Poor technique ruins many more files than cutting metal.
If you have a fine file in Good Shape it will work ;)
IMG_4024.JPG
And it does make it more hand friendly just not as friendly as the 14/24 though :D

Last edited:

AWESOME! :p:D And True :)

Thanks for all the replies. I realized after I said I liked the 11 handle better that I never tried a 14/Izula with full scales so I ordered a 14 with the scale package. It’s weird that the 14 feels better when I’m holding it but the 11 feels better when I’m cutting. :confused:

I’ll have to take them both out and give them a better work out. I just did some feathers up real quick on some cedar.

I’m with you, don’t care for the 14 handle......................without scales, then it emerges a butterfly!

Back