"Batoning"

Bashed this ASHBM though some well seasoned flooded gum. TOUGH!!!! That's 5/16ths of INFI being flexed like rubber! Zero damage to the knife, save a few scuff marks.

tumblr_ob65ixPfTt1siuc9oo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ob65ixPfTt1siuc9oo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ob65ixPfTt1siuc9oo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ob65ixPfTt1siuc9oo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ob65ixPfTt1siuc9oo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ob65ixPfTt1siuc9oo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ob65ixPfTt1siuc9oo7_1280.jpg

This says soooooo much imo.
I wander how many people realize just how damn tough that wood is.
Black gum here in the Blue Ridge, a go-devil (a maul) will just bounce off. Later in years, when we got a wood splitter, the black gum stalled it lol....it couldn't split it!
And I'm sure that gum wood in Australia is prolly tougher than is here.
That's impressive to say the least Rob!

Last edited:
Black gum here in the Blue Ridge, a go-devil (a maul) will just bounce off. Later in years, when we got a wood splitter, the black gum stalled it lol....it couldn't split it!

Yeah I have to split eucalypt (gum) with a chainsaw sometimes. It sucks trying to split it with a maul, it just bounces like you say, no matter how many times you hit it.

Yeah I have to split eucalypt (gum) with a chainsaw sometimes. It sucks trying to split it with a maul, it just bounces like you say, no matter how many times you hit it.

Yes sir. We had to take a chain saw to it.

That wood is really hard. The grain is so tight and dense. I would never be able to baton through the centre of the log segment. As you can see, just splitting shingles off the edge is a serious workout.

That wood is really hard. The grain is so tight and dense. I would never be able to baton through the centre of the log segment. As you can see, just splitting shingles off the edge is a serious workout.

Lol, believe me, I know. That was mighty impressive Rob.

So, on another forum I frequent there is a discussion about batoning.

Their general response to the topic involves a lot of "it's abuse and blades will not handle it" or "it breaks knives" or at the very least "it'll ruin your edge"

Discuss, please. I think they don't have a real clue.
I didn't read the last four pages of replies, but there are many here (BF, not Busse subforum) who believe anything more than a Mora in a fixed blade is blasphemy. I'll never understand it. I have a friggin neck knife (gso 2.7) that I could baton with if my heart desired.

Back