Battle Grade Stripping Binge

Oops! Turned up the brightness on my screen for a better look and it appears that the grinder gremlin got ahold of three. Grrrrr!

Battle Grade users. Still looking good. Haven't even oiled them yet and no corrosion issues so far.

If you ever strip a blade again, I HIGHLY recommend electro etching. Couldn't be more simple, a 9 volt battery, some alligator clips, and some salt water soaked q-tips.

00426fdb549ac6f61d2012705b9e5385.jpg

I would love a little more detail on this if you have time. :)

I would love a little more detail on this if you have time. :)

Sure thing
The process is crazy easy. You need a 9 volt battery, alligator clips(Walmart, auto zone), salt, and q-tips.
This video shows the process, and which terminal to connect to what.
I didn't use vinegar,, just salt and water,,, A LOT OF SALT! Like 2 parts salt to one part water,, you can dissolve it in the microwave in a coffee mug.
https://youtu.be/-r4Y2S7ASBE
Attach the alligator clip so it's touching metal on your blade,, if it's coated you might want to strip a small section on the spine to expose some metal. The other end goes to the positive terminal.
The other clip goes to the negative terminal, then get a qtip , soak one end in the salt water, and then attach the clip to the wet cotton end,leaving a little cotton exposed.
Now start rubbing over your logo, if it's set up correctly and you have a good connection you will see it and hear it start to fizz and sizzle. I do this for about 3 to 4 seconds and then change out a new Q-tip. You should be able to physically see how deep it has etched, I would go a tiny bit more than you think you should because it seems deeper than it is with the coating on.
Good luck!

What he said...very easy. The above pics were my first. Watched vids on you tube and here in the etch thread, and took advice from fellow hogs here. Too dang easy man.
I use a small toothbrush while etching to assist in carbon removal. The process is surprisingly easy. Like rcb said, Go Deep! It looks better when stripped.

SFNO all sharpened up. This is such a great value. What were they...$257? Can't beat that.

So is the electric method better than the etchant solution? I am about to strip my TGLB and want to ensure the logo is etched in nicely. I am open to whichever option provides the best results.

The only thing about the electric options is that I need to strip part of the blade beforehand. How many applications of the saltwater q-tip do you perform?

So is the electric method better than the etchant solution? I am about to strip my TGLB and want to ensure the logo is etched in nicely. I am open to whichever option provides the best results.

The only thing about the electric options is that I need to strip part of the blade beforehand. How many applications of the saltwater q-tip do you perform?

I used the 9 volt batteries 3 in a row, ( cant remember who posted this method Sorry) but it works great but it stinks bad , have some fresh air.
New pic just posted in Photos only no chatting, didnt want to junk up OP thread with photos . I did 6 Q tip use both ends so 12 in total , 1/4 cup salt 1/2 cup boiling water to get it mixed up good in magic bullet.
in the magic bullet

OP,

Nice work on your blades my friend! I am so envious I went straight to the methods and suggestions in the thread forgetting to comment on you work. My apologies.

What would it have taken to completely remove the tooling marks?

I am agar to etch & strip my blade. During the information gathering stage I try to ask as many questions as possible :p

.......What would it have taken to completely remove the tooling marks?......
To remove the grinder marks on my DTBM I used strips of emory cloth backed with a flat file and liberal amounts of WD40 to keep the emory cloth from plugging up with steel. Would've been way quicker to use some sort of power tool but I figured that they have the best warranty in the business so to keep up my end of the deal, doing it by hand would ensure that I didn't hurt their heat treatment in any way.

Thanks.

I removed some grinder gremlin marks on my BGFSH with my buddy's cordless die grinder and a sanding disc. It worked well.

^--- jd4320t is one of the stip-meisters that made me finally take the plunge!!

That SFNO is awesome!!!! :thumbup:

Back