Battle Mistress Newbie

Hi guys:

I'm seriously interested in a Busse Battle Mistress, and I'd like to hear as many performance stories about this legendary blade as possible (utility and otherwise).

Please consider me as a total blank slate: ANY information regarding this blade's performance would be helpful and appreciated. How is it as a chopper? How does it chop compared to a khuk? Edge-holding properties? How does it hold up against other blades that you own or have handled?

Thanks, and I look forward to your responses!

I bought a Battle Mistress several months ago and used it in my back yard to clear out an old redwood deck. I beat the hell out of it. I even sheared off some nails with it. It retained a very sharp edge. A couple times where I hit steel on steel, the edge rolled ever so slightly; an insignificant amount for the amount of pounding that I put into it. I could have sharpened out the edge myself, but I sent it back to Busse and they put a brand new edge on for free.

The balance of my blade is outstanding. There was a family of possums under the deck I was clearing out, and although they are pretty timid creatures, the last thing I need is a pissed off mom coming at me. Of all my blades, the Battle Mistress made me feel the most comfortable in dealing with varmints. It would have cleaved any pissed off possum right in half.

Essentially, this is my favorite blade if the $hit ever hits the fan. The only other blade I would take along would be my Strider AR (a folder). But if I had to settle on just one blade it would be the Battle Mistress hands down.

I recently started stripping down my Badger Attack and I was surprised at how difficult it is. These blades are EXTREMELY tough, from the steel itself to the coating.

In short, I don;t think you will have any regrets whatsoever if you purchase a Battle Mistress. In fact, my bet is that you'll keep it with you for the rest of your life and pass it down in the family. It is an AWESOME blade.

Welcome 4 Ranges!

I always carry my Battle Mistress during the winter (trips) primarily because of it's chopping and splitting capabilities!:D
The khuk will seem to chop more aggressively, but while the Mistress is holding it's own in the chopping arena, it shines through in all other respects. It is one of most comfortable and versitile blades for hard field use. The overall design makes it great for all kinds of camp/field chores from logging;) to working around the kitchen...well, it's a bit large to clean crawfish but you know what I mean:p

Once you handle one you'll never want to put it down!

4 Ranges,
Welcome to the Busse forum. The Battle Mistress is a great
chopper. All of my big knives are Busse's so I can't compare
it to any.:D INFI is known for it's edge holding abilities.
I don't think you will be disappointed.

4 Ranges
Welcome to the Busse forum, these guys won't steer you wrong.

Get the BM you won't be disappointed.:D:D

4R,

Ditto. The BM is a heck of a wilderness tamer.

Which model, the older straight handled, or the "E" handled?

Mike

thatmguy:

I was looking at the "e" handle model.

Thanks guys, for the responses!

r---

Back