1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

BattleRat or Basic 9

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Bobby B, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Bobby B

Bobby B No more Mr. Knife-guy

May 18, 2001
    I am trying to decide between the 2...

I had a Basic 9 and recently traded it (+) for a Steelheart.
    I currently have the Steelheart, a Ratchet, an Apprentice Badger, and the Assault Shaker.

I guess I DO want a big blade as well... I am just debating as to which one...

Does anybody have both (or handled both) who can sort of compare/ contrast them? I have heard that one is more balanced, the other chops better... both have comfy handles (I hear that the BR is the same as the PR handle) - and I had a Basic 9...

Useage?
    In theory: camp chores, bush clearing, food prep (BIG FOOD) (minor SD - Ha Ha Ha)
    Officially: light branch chopping, saplings, camping...
    Realistically, mostly sitting there looking VERY utilitarian.:rolleyes:

Opinions?

2. Eric Isaacson

Eric Isaacson Pirate

Dec 19, 1999
    Rob,
    Hopefully someone will jump in that currently has both. I've owned both but don't currently have the B9. As a chopper I'd say the BR has greater performance, mainly because it has a bit more forward balance. I also prefer the handles on the Rat's to the ones on the Basics, but since you've owned both you can make that decision yourself.

It's a tough choice, especially since you already own a SH