Battleship machete

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Over time, the machetes I make have been getting thinner and more razor-like. Recently I sent one to a fellow who uses a machete professionally, in very hard-use situations. That machete is performing well, but the sheer brutality with which it gets used inspired a machete that's the opposite of a weightless gigantic razor. I call it the Battleship Machete!

This one is a bruiser, double the thickness and volume of the razor-type machetes. It still incorporates a distal thickness taper, etc. Forged from ATI425 (grade 38) titanium alloy, and heat-treated for blade use.

It has a handle ornament made from 6al4v titanium alloy, styled like a harpoon. Would also be good to use on a battleship since titanium is rust-proof. 😁I

X23X1Rb.jpg

uFFkfJ8.jpg

IZRJRc0.jpg

l6nwGCb.jpg

jGczyFa.jpg

M1g6s7K.jpg

tMXwBWf.jpg

LFCdwol.jpg

excellent! Scabbard looks great also:thumbsup:
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

wow, another great one. sheath looks incredible too......really great....

Works excellently at hard, dried wood as well. Still need to toughen up my hands and get back into the swing of things (pun intended) of using a larger blade. Only a tiny bit of deformation at the tip from hitting the ground several times in a row fairly hard (cant see it unless you look very closely for it). Other than that tiny bit, the edge is still as sharp as when you sent it out. Also love the flat tip. Works great as a thrust guillotine to get stuff at ground level and higher up (I use an assisted thrust with one hand holding the handle and one on the pommel area to provide more force).

what did the weight, balance point, and length work out to be?
love the heavy duty nature of this... would like to hear chopping results after you get a chance to clear some trails etc

I have been using a Tramontina for all the deadfall from hurricane Ian. Once you get one of those non battleship machetes ready plz ping me!

I have been using a Tramontina for all the deadfall from hurricane Ian. Once you get one of those non battleship machetes ready plz ping me!

I need to hook you up with one, soon.

Works excellently at hard, dried wood as well. Still need to toughen up my hands and get back into the swing of things (pun intended) of using a larger blade. Only a tiny bit of deformation at the tip from hitting the ground several times in a row fairly hard (cant see it unless you look very closely for it). Other than that tiny bit, the edge is still as sharp as when you sent it out. Also love the flat tip. Works great as a thrust guillotine to get stuff at ground level and higher up (I use an assisted thrust with one hand holding the handle and one on the pommel area to provide more force).

Excellent!

my ultra low cost battleship is a lowly ontario ct5 - about 50% thicker than any latin machetes ; )
the 1075 is wonderful imho, under the eutectoid point and you can just abuse it almost as much as titanium : D

eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL29udGFyaW8vaW1hZ2VzL09OQ1Q1XzEuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOiB7InJlc2l6ZSI6IHsid2lkdGgiOiA3NjAsImhlaWdodCI6IDQxNSwiZml0IjogImNvbnRhaW4iLCJiYWNrZ3JvdW5kIjogeyJyIjogMjU1LCJnIjogMjU1LCJiIjogMjU1LCJhbHBoYSI6IDF9fX19

Mecha Mecha

I’ve been following your work for a while now…and I think that I have to get one of your machetes soon. I’d love a sword as well, but I’m not sure that I could really justify buying one. But man, are they cool.

I’ve been intrigued by titanium for years, and your research and implementation of it toward bladesmithing is truly awe-inspiring to me. I would love to read a book or paper of your trials and findings, as I think that you are most likely the most knowledgeable person ever on the subject. You are certainly a pioneer in an area that most people have dismissed as impractical, if not impossible. Watching a video of Dan Keffeler cut down trees with one swing of a titanium sword, and it remaining unscathed afterwards, is some pretty compelling evidence of just how effective your efforts are proving to be.

I look forward to seeing what new creations that you come up with, as well as what new alloys and material layering techniques that you discover work well in your pursuit of this fascinating endeavor. Well done so far, and I wish you much continued success.

Oh also, Mecha Mecha

I notice that your YouTube channel is severely under-viewed and under-subscribed, considering that you’re creating things that were thought to be basically impossible.

Maybe you could send Skallagrim and Shad Brooks a sword to review. I’m sure that would generate a ton of interest towards your site and channel.

Mecha Mecha

I’ve been following your work for a while now…and I think that I have to get one of your machetes soon. I’d love a sword as well, but I’m not sure that I could really justify buying one. But man, are they cool.

I’ve been intrigued by titanium for years, and your research and implementation of it toward bladesmithing is truly awe-inspiring to me. I would love to read a book or paper of your trials and findings, as I think that you are most likely the most knowledgeable person ever on the subject. You are certainly a pioneer in an area that most people have dismissed as impractical, if not impossible. Watching a video of Dan Keffeler cut down trees with one swing of a titanium sword, and it remaining unscathed afterwards, is some pretty compelling evidence of just how effective your efforts are proving to be.

I look forward to seeing what new creations that you come up with, as well as what new alloys and material layering techniques that you discover work well in your pursuit of this fascinating endeavor. Well done so far, and I wish you much continued success.

Thanks Boss Hogg. You know, a sword-like machete is always an option. 😁

I'll be writing a book about the whole endeavor and what I've learned, how to do it, and some of my more crazy theories, so you'll have a chance to read about it. Work on the book should begin over the winter.

As for evidence that the blades work well, probably the most indisputable proof was the episode of Knife or Death on which I used a ti blade. It was a great stroke of luck to get that chance to show what these things can do, relative to a variety of steel blades.

Oh also, Mecha Mecha

I notice that your YouTube channel is severely under-viewed and under-subscribed, considering that you’re creating things that were thought to be basically impossible.

Maybe you could send Skallagrim and Shad Brooks a sword to review. I’m sure that would generate a ton of interest towards your site and channel.

Some years ago, I think in two separate instances, people tried to alert Skallagrim to my work. He dismissed it and wasn't interested. I also reached out to him twice and was ignored. One of those times was after he had two guests on the show to discuss alternative sword materials, and the first thing they brought up was titanium. The two guests didn't know anything about titanium alloys at all, unfortunately, and they all concluded that it was useless for the purpose, iirc. I'd definitely like to go on and explain how it works.

how about the bigger yt knife channels like nick shabazz or maybe the much more popular

i honestly always enjoy everything he pretty much does, which is rare for yt

Perhaps some day.

Back