• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Bead blast an ESEE?

Has anyone ever done this? ... Anyone considering it?

I've seen a lot of talk about forcing patinas, etc, but I'm surprised there hasn't been much (if any) talk about bead blasting your ESEE. Why?

Bead blasting gives both an attractive finish and resistance to rust. Why no love?

B

bead blasting does not increase rust resistance. if anything bead blasting is a magnet for rust. plus it shows wear really fast.

bead blasting does not increase rust resistance. if anything bead blasting is a magnet for rust. plus it shows wear really fast.

Agreed. Bead blasting will look cool and remove current rust, but it creates surface area for rust to form on and stick to. If I strip the finish off one of mine once it is well worn, I might bead blast it with a fine media. Other than that, a smooth finish will fight rust better generally and be easier to clean up.

Could it be that a can of stripper is easier and cheaper for the average person to get? Rather than trying to find a bead blasting machine they can get use of?

My only experience with bead blasting was some jeep parts - machines were pretty big the shop used.

Agreed. Bead blasting will look cool and remove current rust, but it creates surface area for rust to form on and stick to. If I strip the finish off one of mine once it is well worn, I might bead blast it with a fine media. Other than that, a smooth finish will fight rust better generally and be easier to clean up.

so we agree more than twice a year eh? :p

i started to sandblast my izula and the coating was bullet proof!!! it would have take me way too long so i need to chemically strip it first then i will blast it!! in fact ill do it right now and post pics when its done!!! :D

Well this is what it looks like after chemically stripping the coating! I think it looks cool like this as the logo is blasted from last time I tried
5a082f6b.jpg

Is that Sand blasted or bead blasted? What did the the process do to the edge? Did you do something to protect it?

Looks really good BTW. What did you use the strip the coating off?

Sand blasted ! I did nothing to protect the edge and the damage is no more than a few strokes on the sharpmaker won't fix !! Thanks !!

Man, that bead blast looks sweet. I guess the nice thing is if it starts to rust up you can go blast it again. :D

Back