Bearded Ax

I got a bug for a Bearded Ax. I looked around on the Internet and most of what I found looks like they would be ok for playing dress up but not for really using.

GB makes a 2 lug and a socket (mor what I have in mind) but not for sale hear in the states from what I can tell.

Any one know where one can get a REAL (TOOL) bearded ax hear in the states?

Ragweed forge sells a bearded axe, not sure if that's what you consider a tool or not but it's a nice axe.

I second ragweed forge. I have had nothing but good experience with ragnar. I also am looking at bearded axes and when I get some birthday money (hopefully) I will pick one up from his site.

I think Granfors bruks makes a bearded axe as well but you'd have to order one online.

Ragweed forge sells a bearded Axe, not sure if that's what you consider a tool or not but it's a nice Axe.

From ragweeds sight "The 410 will hold something of an edge for casual camp chores, yet is tough enough for throwing."

I have herd good about them but I am looking for more of a chopper (tool) than a thrower. I would also like a larger Axe (24-30 inch) than a hatchet. (18 inch is what I think of as a Hatchet/Hawk)

This will be more for around the house than strapped to a pack or belt.

I have most of the Gransfors Ancient Axe line, including the Two-Lugged Beard Axe and the Bearded Axe With Eye-Socket (GB's names). I have not used the Two-Lugged but I've done quite a bit of chopping and splitting with the Eye Socket axe. It has a less radical beard, as you can see from photos. The balance is very close to a modern axe despite the absence of a hammer poll. Impressive, considering that they date back to the early 12th century!

Even though the Eye Socket is only 15 cm shorter than the Two-Lugged, it has a much "handier" and more practical feel to it. If you are debating between the two for actual field use, I would recommend the Eye Socket model. For wall hanging, the Two-Lugged is a lot cooler looking, in my opinion.

These are limited-production replicas of museum pieces and the fit, finish, and steel are great. Not cheap, but you wouldn't expect that.

DancesWithKnives

Back