• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Bearing Damascus

I plan on pressing out some Timken bearings. I can't find my notes on which is the best powder to use with them???? 1084 Or 1084/4600.

IG I think any of the mentioned will stick good. I did a San Mai with 52100/15n20/1084 and it all worked fine. 4600 will weld to about anything.

1084 I think would workbest for a using blade. All High carbon.tool/steel. I used pure iron powder and mixed in 1% carbon and a 5% nickle. If you use the pure 1084 the bearings will be brighter due to the chrome, if you use the 4600 the web will be brighter due to the nickle. Just depends on the look you want.
Let us know how it turns out..

Chuck

I'm a Timken Bearing Service Engineering Rep. What kind of Timken bearings are you using. Most Timken bearings in the US are "NOT" 52100 steel. If it is a Tapered Roller Bearing, then it is a low carbon steel that has been case carburized and would be equivalent to making your damascus with really high quality alloyed structural steel such as angle iron. If it's a Spherical, Cylindrical or Ball Bearing then they most likely will be 52100 steel.

:D Thanks Guys:thumbup: :thumbup:
I was planning to press it down then arc weld 1084 on one side fill it up with powder and weld another piece of 1084 to close it up.

I'm a Timken Bearing Service Engineering Rep. What kind of Timken bearings are you using. Most Timken bearings in the US are "NOT" 52100 steel. If it is a Tapered Roller Bearing, then it is a low carbon steel that has been case carburized and would be equivalent to making your damascus with really high quality alloyed structural steel such as angle iron. If it's a Spherical, Cylindrical or Ball Bearing then they most likely will be 52100 steel.

Yep!!!! The one I was going to start with is the Tapered Roller Bearing. Does it make a difference that it's over 20 years old????:confused: Well I will start with the bearings that came out off my 1947 Indain when I did up the tranny. They are ball bearings.:D

It doesn't matter how old it is. Timken has been using case carburization of low carbon steel since 1899, for Tapered Roller Bearings.

Back