becker bk10 advice

I was thinking about buying a becker bk10 for camping and or puting one in my bob kit. I don't know much about this knives and what I sould pay. I would be using for lite camp chores. thanks

I think it will serve you well in all the capacities you mention. You're probably looking at the $40 (low, probably used) to $60 range, plus shipping.

You might also take a look at the BK-2 Campanion. Same sized knife basically (5 1/4" blade for the BK-2 versus 5 1/2" blade for the BK-10). Different blade shape.

I noticed that Tom at Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop has a few of the BK-2's still in stock. He's a good guy to do business with.

Another difference. The BK-10 comes with the OD nylon canvas sheath. The BK-2 comes with a kydex sheath.

Here's the BK-10:

bk10.jpg

Here's the BK-2:

bk2.jpg

A BK10 will serve you well for the usage you described. It's a good tool for the price. The BK2 Companion is about the same size, but in addition to it's balde shape, it is also heavier and more expensive. I have both the BK2 and the BK10. Although I've used the BK2 more, I think the BK10 is a little more versatile.

And I'd say the BK10 would be an excellent choice in it's price range. I can't think of too many other knives in teh $40-$50 bracket that offer the same bang for the buck.

At this point the BK2 is probably the way to go. They are both great knives but the BK2 is avalible at this time. I know I have them instock and when I take a look around I see that this is the knife most other dealer have in stock as well. I see the price of this knife going up in the future. If Camillus turns up the heat on the Beckers I see them pumping out the BK1 and the BK9 knives for quite some time. I would think the BK10 and the BK7 would be hot and next on the list. The lack of production on the BK2 will drive the price up, once the price goes up and the demand increases there will be an incentive to produce this knife too.

For all of you nay sayers out there look at the BK9 and the BK9HH, I dont want to point fingers but..... If you remember back in the fall of 2006 I had some knives for sell (I dont know where the thread is but...) I was quoted as saying I purchased the remaining stock of BK9 knives and they are no-longer going to be produced. I was corrected and told that there were plans to start the production again. I purchased 78 BK9's wholesale and sold them over the course of 3 months for between $50-$60. Those of you that saw them drying up took advantage of the price. Just as everything else as supply goes down the price goes up. I only see two on ebay now, wait to see what they go for. 1 is on a buy now for $75.00 If you want one I dont think you could go wrong buying this knife (this is not my knife or action). I also see a nice presentation of BK7 knives on ebay. What does this mean to you? It could be that the knives have peeked and people (like me) that had a few put away are selling them off now (the BK7's are not my knives or auctions).

As you can tell I'm a little wound-up about somthing.... So all that I can do is give anyone thinking about a BK2 or an extra BK2 some advice; buy them now because nothing is guarantied. Here goes some spam so cut my throat if you want but I have them on my wesite for $53.99 and on ebay for about $55.00 buy now or a lower starting price in an auction. This is a steal, the MSRP on this knife is $113.99 (this price is out of the Camillus Catalog). I have about 30 in stock, when I get down to 10 knives and I find out that Camillus cant replenish them the price will go up to $65.00 and this is still a deal (43% off MSRP). I Know those folks at Camillus are great people and I am pulling for them to get everything worked-out, but as far as inventory goes; Untill the knives are in my shop they dont exist. Lets see what the end of January brings.

In a final note It is my own opinion; I think if the people with their thumb on the success of Camillus would give the company a little slack they would get off of life support and get back to making and selling knives.

Not to replace the Becker; I am getting a line on some Ontario Knives. The Ontario Knife Company has some impressive knives, made in the USA. This may satisfy your hunger for a while. I have not seen an Ontario Knife Forum?

Tom
Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop

Not to replace the Becker; I am getting a line on some Ontario Knives. The Ontario Knife Company has some impressive knives, made in the USA. This may satisfy your hunger for a while. I have not seen an Ontario Knife Forum?

http://www.jungletraining.com/forums/

Well, for the larger Ontarios at least.... Board is run by RAT designers Mike Perrin and Jeff Randall.

Have a drink, Tom! And check your email... :D

sniff sniff sniff :)

mmm

i smell something.

i saw a used pre-camillus brute at a show. it had been USED, left in a truck bed for months, run over, chewed up, and spit out - but still quite the user. guy was trying to sell it for LIST ;) you know, maybe it's worth it now :>

bladite

I wonder what the POST-Camillus Bruit will sell for????

Well folks I may be jumping ship but.... I am going to start carrying allot of the Ontario Knife line. The RAT looks like a fine knife

Here are a couple of picks I have had my eye on

RAT3 7-7/8" overall 3-7/8" Blade powder coated D2

RAT5 10-5/8" overall 5-1/4" Blade Powder Coated D2 Wow!!!!

RAT7 12-1/4" overall 7" Blade 1095 carbon black phosphate finish

Then The SPEC PLUS knives are made in the USA 1095 carbon steel blade with the black epoxy coated blade.

I should get them in by the first of next week, I'll have a kick off blow out sale to get started. If any one wants some information email me.

It would be nice to get an Ontario Knife manufacturers thread. There is allot to talk about when it comes to these knives.

Nothing against the Becker Knives, I have them in my personel collection and I will not give them up. But I cant sell knive that I dont have in stock and these Ontaro Knives are impressive.

Don't forget the RTAK II. :thumbup:

ON-RTAKII.JPG

OK now your showing-off :D . Nice knife, have you put it to the test? or is it part of a collection?

I'll put that on my order tomorrow. I have two shows this month and I would like to show some of these knives to the Becker customers. They're always looking for new blood.

I wonder what the POST-Camillus Bruit will sell for????

Well folks I may be jumping ship but.... I am going to start carrying allot of the Ontario Knife line. The RAT looks like a fine knife

those are great knives... i only have a RAT and a RTAK (so far), but fabulous quality and the RAT is a favorite pack knife.

bladite

If you find that you need another I'll take care of you on the price. I want to hit the ground running with this line. You shouls see them hit my website early next week. If by some miracle I get them in by Friday I'll work at getting some on this weekend.

Did I send you one of my calendars Bladeite?

If anyone wants a Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop wild life calendar email me your address and I'll put one in the mail for you.

Tom

If you find that you need another I'll take care of you on the price. I want to hit the ground running with this line. You shouls see them hit my website early next week. If by some miracle I get them in by Friday I'll work at getting some on this weekend.
Did I send you one of my calendars Bladeite?
If anyone wants a Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop wild life calendar email me your address and I'll put one in the mail for you.
Tom

actually, i probably want something else in that line. my visual memory record is failing on what that is... :) you could start a post with pictures of the line (as a group?) that you are going to carry...

iirc, RAT makes a new folding knife? i recall being very interested in that at one point. will have to check later (lots on the plate, distracted at the mo')

nope, you have not sent me a calendar yet ...

i'm thinking i need a few more of those camillus becker micarta slabs, not sure how many. email me with price, shipping, if you can get the RAT folder, how much, all that. we'll chat :)

bladite

OK now your showing-off :D . Nice knife, have you put it to the test? or is it part of a collection?

That one is currently inbound. Also have a Ranger RD-9 on the way. I plan to whack them as soon as they get here.

Bought a BK9HH from Tom at Chestnut Ridge.

Happy with the whole transaction...and very pleased with the performance of this inexpensive knife!

And I'll probably visit Tom again for a Rat5 in the not distant future.

Here is the list, as soon as they hit the door I'll take a picture.

RAT3 IN THE 1095, ALL THREE COLORS - TAN, BLACK, AND GREEN
RAT5 1095
RAT7 1095
RAT7 1095 SERRATED
RTAK II
RTAK II SERRATED
TAK1 1095
TAK1 1095 SERRATED
RAT1 FOLDER BLACK ON BLACK
RAT1 FOLDER BLACK ON BLACK SERRATED
RAT1 FOLDER SATIN BLADE
RAT1 FOLDER SATIN BLADE SERRATED

Also: the ABANIKO 5 AND 7, ix-ney on the price-ay will be below dealer cost-tay on ABANIKO knives.

I was torn on the XM 1 EXTREME, This is one hot knife. I will stock it in my next order. I have a big order of fishing reel comming in this week too so I had to cut back some where.

I also order some of the SPEC PLUS Knives

They are on the way and could get here by Friday.

If you are registered on by website I will drop an email on the prices soon.

I was looking through some books (I didnt spend too much time) I'm trying to find out how close the 1095 is to the 0170-6C, I know they are both High carbon but I am wondering what % carbon they are.

Another nice thing about the RAT knife is they come with the Micarta handles. Like the Beckers they have a nice pommel.

Tom
Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop

Thanks, You Becker Knife collectors are the best. Its a privilege to talk to you folks in the forums.

Back