Becker Knife Co. / Blackjack products

By all means, PLEASE do the Magnum Camp Knife again! It's performance was out of this world, and I'm VERY sorry I sold the one that I had. If anyone has one, by all means let me know. I've got an original Machax that I bought from Ethan Becker personally, back when he was doing the gun show circuit. If anyone is interested in it, let me know. I've got a pic...but that's a shameless plug for selling it
smile.gif
I would be interested in seeing what designs that Ethan had up his sleeve that never made it to production. The khukuri that BK&T was an awesome performer as well. It's about time someone (Camillus) started producing his designs again. Could this be the rise of the fixed blade knife again in the knife world?
smile.gif

Take care,
John Johnson

By the way, 0170-6 is classified as a spring type steel, if memory serves correctly. Ethan said it was the material used in M1 tank springs. Edge holding was never one of it's very good strong points, but it will take more abuse then 5160, in my findings. Also, alot of the original BK&T offerings had a nickel coating over the blade, which would hold corrosion at bay, as well as *maybe* adding to it's abrasion resistance, although probably not by much on the edge, just on the body. IMHO Phil, if your going to do them again, use a steel that will be as tough as the originals, as performance was their keynote (they sure wouldn't win any beauty contests
smile.gif

Take care,
John Johnson

to phil I like all the BK & T products. I almost bought the big blunt nosed dive knife, but I didn't because of the single bevel on the blade. I am left-handed and chisel ground or serrated edges are next to useless for southpaws because they are on the wrong side of the blade. could there be a "mirror" blade for lefties? Or perhaps an ambidextrous edge,PLEASE?

Wow, I don't read in here all the time, but now that Will Fennel is here, I will
smile.gif
. Great news about the EK/BJ line appearing. I have been buying the Marble's equivalent (Trailmaker IMHO needs to be 1/4" stock, not 0.20"), but nothing beats the ol'timers for usability, and function. How about some chic Kydex sheaths, too?!

Please use some D2 steel on the blades! Damn...I have to save even more $ to some more knives....lol
smile.gif

Ray 'md2020'

Ray,
Glad your checking in here more often! We are gonna have some great new stuff coing out. But we seeem to have gotten carried away here.

We are reintroducing the BECKER KNIFE & TOOL line, period. We have no association with the BLACKJACK or EK lines. Bald1, ol' buddy, the EK was protected and is not avialible. Give us a little time, we got some neat stuff coming.

------------------
Stay Sharp!
Will Fennell
Camillus Cutlery

The review I read before I bought my Becker Knife & Tool Companion says it was 1095, cyrogenically treated. The reviewer used it and a three pound sledge hammer to peel a Buick -- no damage to blade, no cracking or flaking. The tough gray ugly epoxy paint doesn't peel, either. Holds a hair shaving edge (1/4" diameter at that!). Great tool for camp use, prying open various objects like cars, prying tire beads over the rim, etc. Everybody ought to have one in their tool kit. Heavy on the belt tho'.

I got into knives too late to get any of the early BKand T stuff. But a Machax would be perfect for us backwoods types. Also there is a market out there for some good short swords. Please don't forget that!!!

Phil,

I consider my Rescue DiveTul to be an all-purpose "pass key". I had sent one to Austria for their national police to evaluate. They used it to pop open locked car doors, break out safety and tempered glass and opened all sorts of doors. The only thing it couldn't open was their standard commercial doors, tougher tighter locks and doors than ours. My Brute rides behind the seat of my truck. The Magnum is used in the kitchen. As you can tell I think very highly of the BKT line and was very happy when Will told me ya'll were going to produce them.

Take care,

Mike Crenshaw

------------------
TANSTAAFL

Has production started on these knives yet? Where are we at on this?
I would like to add that if these knives are produced again please keep the convex edge of the originals and the excellent heat treating (not overcooked)and the price that a working person can afford.In other words make them just like the originals, with the possible exception of using A2 or D2 steel heat treated for toughness above all.
m

Soory for the above post.I entered this thread from a link in another forum and didn't see till now the other info here.
Thanks,
m

This really is fantastic news. I've been using (abusing) a Brute for years now, always with the fear of not being able to replace it.

When people see this tool for the first time they feel obliged to make every type of negative comment and joke about large knives. There are also the obligitory comments about my experience, wisdom, security with my manhood, etc... However, after the firewood is stacked, tent pegs pounded in and assorted wooden camp items fashoned, the comments turn to a sheepish "can I see your knife...". This is more than a large knife, it's my hatchet, hammer, draw knife, fire poker and pry bar all rolled into one (it's also kinda fun to see people's expressions when I slice tomatoes with it).

My Brute was an early one (pre Black Jack) and believe it to be some type of stainless. It's bead blasted finish never has picked up any rust or corrosion under adverse conditions. I simply try to keep it dry, no oil or coatings of any kind. When it needs cleaning, a Scotch Brite pad with dish soap and water does the job. I also seem to recall reading in an early "Cutlery Shoppe" catalog that they were stainless but later (Black Jack days) switching to carbon steel. Maybe a former BK&T employee would remember?

merwin,
Glad you've had good service out of your BK&T BRUTE, its the BK&T that I ahve the most experience with myself. The spec's for the current BK&T line are covered in a separate thread, but yes, the new production will be carbon steel, the way Ethan Becker wants them!

Also, just to clear matters up, ALL the Brute's produced in the past were produced by BLACKJACK, as that model wasn't brought out until after BJK started producing BK&T. The one thing constant about BJK's production was that NOTHING WAS CONSTANT! They changed materials virtually on every run of knives, as things were very 'fluid' in those days @ BJK's. They used whatever materials they could get at the time they started the specific 'run' of knives. 'Most' of the BRUTE's I've come in contact with have been 440a, but I have seen them in 1095. Most were grey epoxy powder coated, but I have seen some stainless ones with a bead blasted finish. My old one is 440a with the grey powder coat.

If you liked the old BK&T, your gonna LOVE the new BK&T.....

BECKER is BACK!!!!

------------------
Stay Sharp!
Will Fennell
Camillus Cutlery

Mr. Fennell,
How can you tell if your blade is 1095 or 440A?
Thanks for the help.
m

m,
I really don't mean to sound like a smart a$$, but the only way I know is to see if it rusts along the edge REAL easy. If it does, its probally 1095, if not, its probally 440a. If its bead blast finished, its probally 440a. Hope this helps.

All of the new production BK&T products will be 0170-6C carbon steel. With a black epoxy powder coat.

------------------
Stay Sharp!
Will Fennell
Camillus Cutlery

Thanks Mr. Fennell.I thought maybe there was a better easy way to tell that I didn't know about.
m

While the image is a little crude since it was scanned from the latest Camillus printed catalog, you can see the Becker knives at http://www.knifeoutlet.com/becker.htm and see the specs as well. I saw them at the show and I think they will give Busse a real run for the money. Take care.

------------------
Fred
Knife Outlet
http://www.knifeoutlet.com

Hmmmmm.......

My first response in this thread was July 25, and now I can finally say....it's on order!!!

Of course, being that Fred JUST put them on his site, and I JUST ordered from him, well, can you tell how long I've wanted a Campanion?? (that didn't sound right at all, did it??)

------------------
Life is NOT a spectator sport!!

Sounds like a phenolic resin of some sort, but what is GV6H for those handles? While on handles, with the exception of the 4 th one down from Freds pics, are all of them seem to have the same dimensions? What is the inside measurement of those handles? That is, the actual surface area length where the 4 fingers would rest? Thanks.

L8r,
Nakano

Nakano,
Swiss Gv6H is a 'glass filled thermoplastic alloy' according to our supplier. It is 60% glass filled nylon. Very tough stuff. They actually make NAILS outta this stuff for use in corrosive environs. The handles are made by an injection molding process. All the BK&T handles are the same.

I don't have a sample near me to measure for you, but I will get my hands on one and reply later. Take my word for it, they are VERY comfortable handles, and are plenty large enough for any hand. The handles on BK&T products are possibly the best attribute, they are the most ergonomic 'heavy use/big chopper' I have ever worked with. NO HOT SPOTS!

I will get that 'inside'deminsion measurement for you latert today....either myself, or Phil, or Ethan will post it. Thanks again for the interest.

------------------
Stay Sharp!
Will Fennell
Camillus Cutlery

Back