BECKER KNIFE & TOOL PIC!!!

Cryogenic treatment is of dubious benefit on 1095. It might improve it ... a little bit ... many people would argue it can't make any difference at all on 1095; others claim it does ... a tiny bit.

------------------
-Cougar Allen :{)
--------------------------------------
This post is not merely the author's opinions; it is the trrrrrruth. This post is intended to cause dissension and unrest and upset people, and ultimately drive them mad. Please do not misinterpret my intentions in posting this.

Give it up will! When? Where? How much? pant, pant, drool, drool

------------------
The thorn stands to defend the Rose, yet it is peaceful and does not seek conflict

Phil Gibbs said in an earlier thread that posters to the thread would get first call and a good price on these knives. Is this still true? I think you have some winners here. I know you will get some of my cash. Good luck!

------------------
The thorn stands to defend the Rose, yet it is peaceful and does not seek conflict

multiple post, sorry

------------------

[This message has been edited by fudo (edited 01-14-2000).]

multiple post, sorry

------------------

[This message has been edited by fudo (edited 01-14-2000).]

Great News.... But

Can we expect to see the production of the Machax? I've had one (stamdard b;ade w/ the superb cordura sheath) for about 10 years & IMHO it is one of the premier kukri-style chopping/multipurpose tools ever designed - it is compact enough to be carried easily while solid enough to do superb chopping, limbing, shaving/peeling, carving, etc..
I teach outdoor survival courses regularly & constantly flog the virtues of this blade for general bush duty (shelter building to bow making) - got a few friends who would definitely get one. So please - another Machax.

Also, I'll definitely get a Campanion this time around after missing the original.

BTW, if the blades will be flat ground, why not leave the cutting edge from the primary bevel rather than doing a very narrow secondary bevel which is thick, more difficult to resharpen & far less useful for precise wood-shaving work? I am a big promoter of the Swedish Mora style utility knives for their continued use of a flat single bevel. Also noted my 1970's Gerber Mk II has a single flat bevel while recent models have the atrocious secondary (manufacturing cost-efficient?) bevel.

Thanks, Dudley Driscoll in Calgary AB

I'm ready to buy, one each and ditto on manufacturing the other product lines.

sarge

Please post and let us all know where will be the first place we can get one, assuming we can't make it to the show. I gotta get at least one of them.

-Bart

I had the chance to buy a Machax at a local gunshow about 10 or 15 years ago... excuse me while I kick myself once again for not buying one!!!!

I have since then run into a lot of local SWAT guys who have one of them (or a TAC Tool) on their LBE gear and love them.

mike

I am extremely happy to see this line coming back. I have heard about them ever since I joined Bladeforums but was never able to see one let alone by one.

One thing though is I would like to see the Companion is .25 inch stock. If you are going to reproduce the original, it might as well be just as tough. Besides I don't know what great advantages the slimmer .21 stock would offer.

As well, was the original coating an black epoxy? Because if I believe I heard teh orignal coating was just indestructable which makes it sound better than a black epoxy powder coating.

thanks and take care
collin

This really is fantastic news. I've been using (abusing) a Brute for years now, always with the fear of not being able to replace it.
When people see this tool for the first time they feel obliged to make every type of negative comment and joke about large knives. There are also the obligitory comments about my experience, wisdom, security with my manhood, etc... However, after the firewood is stacked, tent pegs pounded in and assorted wooden camp items fashoned, the comments turn to a sheepish "can I see your knife...". This is more than a large knife, it's my hatchet, hammer, draw knife, fire poker and pry bar all rolled into one (it's also kinda fun to see people's expressions when I slice tomatoes with it).

My Brute was an early one (pre Black Jack) and believe it to be some type of stainless. It's bead blasted finish never has picked up any rust or corrosion under adverse conditions. I simply try to keep it dry, no oil or coatings of any kind. When it needs cleaning, a Scotch Brite pad with dish soap and water does the job. I also seem to recall reading in an early "Cutlery Shoppe" catalog that they were stainless but later (Black Jack days) switching to carbon steel. Maybe a former BK&T employee would remember?

Tobii3,
We had a change in 'ways of measurement'. Someone putting to gether the catalog used the 'old' standard of measuring the cutting edge....approx.4.5". We I started putting together the 'product sell sheet' that you have seen on the forums, I measured the ENTIRE blade, from the handle forward, as I think most of us here on the forums are used to. That measurement comes to 5.25".

Someone else asked about blade thinkness. We thinned the bladestock down from the orignal spec of .250"[they were all over the map back then, I've measured as high as .270" and as low as .220"]. After further testing by Ethan Becker and the folks here at CAMILLUS, we settled on .210" as having more than enough strenght[in this steel] for that short blade lenght, and cutting like a demon. The 2 production proto's I have here both measure approx. .225" after the epoxy-powder coat has been applied.

Ethan's wife tells me that he 'cut down every living thing'in their yard the day we sent him the first proto in the new thickness. He then prepared dinner[Ethan has been know to do a lttle cooking
wink.gif
], everything from chopping vegatables to carving the meat. He was VERY enthusiastic, and after a couple of more days testing by both Ethan and us at CAMILLUS, we settled on this thickness for the CAMPANION.

Throughout the BK&T line, we are taking a look at what worked in the past, and what we can make better. Ethan Becker is happy, I think you will be too.....

I want my BRUTE also.....
cool.gif

------------------
Stay Sharp!
Will Fennell
Camillus Cutlery

Will,

Thanks for the info, I was curious as to how that happened. No real gripes, just a sort of "huh?' when I was looking at the specs. I passed up the chance to own a Campanion way back when, and hated myself for that lousy decision. Now they're back, and, of course, I've already placed my order!!!

Now, if you really want a headache on the "measurement" issue....... http://www.usit.net/hp/guncraft/acca/camp.html
they list the blade length as 5" even!!!

[This message has been edited by tobii3 (edited 01-30-2000).]

If it works for Mr. Becker, it works for me.

thanbks andv take care
collin

Will:

If I should fix the descriptions from the catalog let me know. The Campanion is listed with 1/4" blade thickness and a 4 1/2" blade with an overall length of 10 5/8."

For the group: Will was kind enough to provide me with a CD full of images at the show and explained to me just today that I actually had the Becker catalog image on the CD. So, I cut it down to size and removed about 90% of the data so it would load properly on any browser and spruced up our Becker page with it. Anyone interested can see it at http://www.knifeoutlet.com/becker.htm and, yes, the knives are all on order. We've already taken orders for four of them in a single day so I need to call the rep tommorrow and increase our starting order.

I'm convinced these products will be a smash success. When I saw them at the show I felt like I was holding a knife designed to do what the Busse knives do but with obviously better fit and finish. The handles are brute strong and comfortable. The epoxy coating on the blade is done much better than on the Busse knives. I assume the carbon steel is comparable. The head scratcher for me was the price. These are a lot less expensive than the Busses and, from my perspective, better knives. That's the advantage of having production in a larger company like Camillus where we will all enjoy the benefits of economies of scale.

Maybe we can get Cliff Stamp to put one through its paces when they arrive. If you haven't thought of it yet, Will, perhaps you should e-mail and make an offer. I'm sure he'd be pleased to destroy one for you.
smile.gif

These are definitely terrific hard use fixed blade knives. I ordered a Machax for my own collection. I can think of a zillion things to do with it in the garden. Take care.

------------------
Fred
Knife Outlet
http://www.knifeoutlet.com

Thanks for the pics Fred. That's the first time I've seen the legendary "machax"... what an ugly little critter - but I want one!!

------------------
Daniel

Did I miss something? Will announced the re-introduction of 3 Becker knives, but the knife outlet has 5 of them for sale. Are all of them available now? Can't decide which to get first. If I got a Brute would I need a Machax or visa versa? This has really screwed up my knife buying plans.

[This message has been edited by Seahawk (edited 02-02-2000).]

SEAHAWK,
Sorry for the confusion. We are currently re-introducing BK1-BRUTE, BK2-CAMPANION, and BK3-TACTOOL. We should beging shipping the first of these[CAMPANION] in a week or so[waiting on sheaths]. We will bring out the BK4-MACHAX and BK5-MAGNUM CAMP KNIFE this summer[probally at The BLADESHOW in June]. The reason knifeoutlet.com has all five up now is that we just printed a new master catalog, and to save major re-printing costs in a few months, we went ahead and shot the catalog with the BK4 and BK5. Fred@ knifeoutlet is simply using the photo's out of our new catalog. I am assuming he will hold anyone's order for the BK4 and BK5 until then if they want to wait. Or......

Get the ones you want now, and the rest later......
wink.gif

------------------
Stay Sharp!
Will Fennell
Camillus Cutlery

PS, this info is covered in more detail in the BECKER is BACK! Press release thread here on the CAMILLUS forum. Thanks for your interest.

Will

[This message has been edited by Will Fennell (edited 02-02-2000).]

Back