Becker sharpening question

I dont have any experience using sharpening stones and strops. i will be practicing with them on some old cheap knives but i am wondering if any of the simple sharpeners that you just pull the knife thru are any good for using on our beckers? like the spiderco tri angle sharpmaker or any electric one like the table top sharpener from sog ?

Thanks beckerheads!

I have not had to use anything more than Green compound on an old leather belt to keep my Bk2, 11 or 14 hair shaving sharp. After a little compound sharpening, I then strop the blade for a bit till it gets where I like it. I actually enjoy sharpening a blade and would not use the "stripper" style, not that use could'nt.

yea i will be practicing with stone and strop. i seen some good things on the work sharp sharpener, would that be ok with the coating on the blade?

yea i will be practicing with stone and strop. i seen some good things on the work sharp sharpener, would that be ok with the coating on the blade?

Should be fine, the sanding belt only touches the edge...Not the entire blade.

Personally I use W&D sandpaper (80, 120, 180, 240, 320, 600, 1500 and 2000) sprayed with WD-40 on a leather backing and strops (black, white, green and polishing paste. Occasionally I might strop the blade on my hand or on some bare leather too.

The Work Sharp is great. It's my favorite sharpener. There's a learning curve with it, but once you get it down it sharpens knives super easy.

I dont have any experience using sharpening stones and strops. i will be practicing with them on some old cheap knives but i am wondering if any of the simple sharpeners that you just pull the knife thru are any good for using on our beckers? like the spiderco tri angle sharpmaker or any electric one like the table top sharpener from sog ?

Thanks beckerheads!

Be careful not to round your tip with the Work Sharp. I did on my BK2 and I'm ashamed of how it looks now. I wouldn't reccomend the Sharpmaker unless you have a collection of smaller blades, it's not impossible to sharpen on it however you will have better luck with a different method.

If you are just looking for a simple way to keep a knife sharp, some sandpaper, a phone book and a leather belt can't be beat. Here is a demo. Also, DerekH posted about how to easily Convex your knives with Nail Files. Here is the link. I prefer this method as it's really hard to mess up.

+1 on the work sharp. You're not going to get hair whittling edges from it, but with a little practice they will push cut phone book paper no problem.

i played around with a nice leather wallet no leather belt here anyway i didnt use any buffing compound, i thought about it but it didnt need sharpening i was just practicing and i didnt wanna wear the blade any but it seemed like it worked without it, before i started the knife would slice paper but i had to apply pressure slowly and slice it, after i finished i could simply slide the knife thru the paper to start the slice and the knifes weight would do the rest. i just dropped it after it started to slice a couple times and it still sliced thru the phone book page. but this is a pretty new bk11 and it hasnt been abused much YET. the factory edge was shaving sharp and it hasnt ever lost its ability to shave the hair on my arm. Im just gettin prepared so i can keep it cutting everything :)

The KME system has gotten some rave reviews. I am in the market for a sharpening system myself and I think that is the one I'm gonna go with. I used to have a sharp maker and for me, it just didn't work.

i was just looking that over i seen moose suggested it on another page. that might be what i get when im in the market to spend some money on a good one

I finally pulled the trigger on a KME sharpener. We'll see how it does, but if Moose's reviews are any indication, it's gonna be money well spent.

Once you get your knife shaving sharp, not hair popping just shaving, strop it. Just use your belt with some white turtle wax polish and you'll be good, thats what I do and here are my results.

splithair.jpg

Oops, that shouldn't read "white turtle wax polish", it should be, "white turtle wax polishing compound"...

Sorry bout that...

Cool Let us know how the kme works out for you. it will be a little bit before i decide to spend some money on a real good sharpener but i think ill be picking between the kme and the work sharp. the work shop seems the most user friendly, just going of the pictures and it cost a little bit less as well. But The price difference isnt huge enough to make the work sharp the guarunteed pick if the kme is that much better.

So we can make this a comparative review, the KME or Work sharp? and why ?

Back