1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Been gone awhile....

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Bill Sanders, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Bill Sanders

Bill Sanders

Aug 18, 2003
    Any way to find out a date I purchased items from HI?
    Seems I dropped off the forum somewhere around 2015, and just got around to looking into my old bookmarks. Had brain cancer, surgery, etc. and have been dealing with that, physical therapy and money/job issues. I've finally got things sorted out, mostly. But I have this fairly large collection of, what I'm told, are HI blades made in Nepal. I like them. But I don't remember buying them. Or, for that matter, being a member here. (Lots of things I don't remember, but that's a whole 'nother story!) But it seems my computer remembered. Couple are a bit rusty, and one's sheath has split. Best methods for cleaning them up?

Kismet likes this.
  2. fkctrjt121

fkctrjt121 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2017
    I'm new here but the people here are super friendly and helpful I'm sure they'll work it out for you. I had a different but similar experience of piecing a life back together again i hope it all works out for you.

3. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Welcome back! Glad that things are shaping up for you. Smoke and prayers for your continued recovery.

Surface rust can be easily removed, pitting is another issue. You can remove with some 01 steel wool (or a green scotch brite pad) and simichrome (Flitz).

The sheath I am not so sure about, I am sure someone with more knowledge about your issue will be along shortly.

fkctrjt121 likes this.
  4. fkctrjt121

Sep 29, 2017
    If Yangdu doesn't have records still you could go back through your post history. I had a quick look to see if it was possible (being new myself here) it might take a bit of time but it shows you buying blades from about 2003-2010.

Bill Sanders likes this.
  5. dave9969

dave9969

Jun 26, 2011
    severely rusty you can soak in white vinegar over night
    just put in a vase or similar (dont tell the wife!) and then you can wipe the
    rust rite off the metal and apply a nice coat of oil to protect it

fkctrjt121 likes this.
  6. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    I think that's good advice. I clicked on the name Bill Sanders that appears beside the first post of the thread, and a pop-up window shows:

Bill Sanders
    55, from Colorado
    Profile Page Gift Membership Follow Ignore View Trading Profile
    Member Since: Aug 18, 2003 Messages: 572 Likes Received: 18 Trade Rating: 0%
    Bill Sanders was last seen: Today at 3:39 AM

Where it says Messages, I clicked on the number (currently 572) which sent me to 29 pages of posts by Bill Sanders. Page 29 has the oldest posts. I started looking there and found these right off the bat:

My Chiruwa Ang Khola came in the mail today. :) :) It has not left my side since. Over all length is 16 7/8 inches, with a wood handle...
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/got-new-ak-today.269732/

Ok, ordered my 3rd khuk in 3 weeks. When it arrives I will then have a 16.5 in Chiruawa AK by Kumar, a 18 in Chiruawa AK by Sher, and a 9 in Bilton. The first one is so far the best one. The AK by Kumar. It seems to me to be alive when I hold or use it. Just got the Sher 18 in AK today. It will be put into use this weekend, I hope. Can't wait for the Bilton to arrive...
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/hikv-strikes-again.270766/

Welcome back, and good luck!

Bill Sanders and fkctrjt121 like this.
  7. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Welcome back, Bill. Any pics you have would help us date the knives.

Smoke up for positive recovery.

Kismet likes this.
  8. Bill Sanders

Bill Sanders

Aug 18, 2003

Looks like that may be the easiest method. Thanks!

9. Bill Sanders

Bill Sanders

Aug 18, 2003
    Damn, 29 pages? Forgot more than I thought! Gonna need to read them.

10. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Wecome back Bill! Good to have you back in the family. Best wishes on your healing journey!

Kismet likes this.
  11. fkctrjt121

Sep 29, 2017
    It's 29 pages but actually pretty quick reading. Good luck.

12. Howard Wallace

Howard Wallace . Moderator

Feb 23, 1999
    Welcome back, Bill.

13. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    Heavy Haul,

Brain Cancer? Damn. Are you still driving truck? Do you still have your kitties??? I hope you are ok. I'm recovering from getting a new hip right now. Glad to hear you are still out there. I have thought about you from time to time since you are a fellow kitty lover. Jim AKA Hollowdweller

rio and Kismet like this.
  14. Bill Sanders

Bill Sanders

Aug 18, 2003
    Took me a bit, but yeah, got my CDL back. Was quite the interesting journey. And it still continues as I regain memories lost to the cancer and surgeries. Still have Tigger. Golly was lost to kidney failure, right about the same time I started having symptoms.
    New hip? Bet your PT was/is pretty intense.

15. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    Not really. New kind of surgery. Anterior. I was walking unaided within 2 weeks. Where I let it go so long though I'm going to have to work to get my interior rotation back. For the last 2 or 3 y haven't been able to put socks or tie a shoe on the right.

Glad you are alive still. "There's very few of us left my friend, from the days that used to be" Neil Young

16. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Yep! Rust Never Sleeps.

17. Dino in Reno

Dino in Reno

Jul 16, 2005
    Welcome back Bill.
    :)